info please

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by pieluver, Oct 16, 2008.

1. pieluver

pieluver New Member

Ok i dont have a snake but i have been thinking about some things. Iv been thinking about either getting a lizard or a snake, but i want to learn about the snakes some. First of all, which snake do you guys think would be better to own, a milk snake or a corn snake? Thats the only question for now.

Thanks for everyone who replys.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reptile_boy04

reptile_boy04 Embryo

There isn't really much of a difference between the snakes, but I would suggest a Corn Snake with your provided info. Milk snakes don't calm as fast as Corn Snakes do. In some cases depending on the age and temperment of the snake they'll sometimes musk. Corn Snakes are the perfect for beginners and can be handled more often than most snakes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. pieluver

pieluver New Member

Oh, well.. thats cool.. im probably not going to get one in the next couple of months or so but thats good info. But you mentioned theyl 'musk'? Im not sure what that means. Anyway thats for your reply though. :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

Corn snakes are GREAT snakes...for beginners and experts alike. They are relativey small, but not tiny....calm down very well and are easy to handle, eat well and come in a variety of different colors and patterns. They are also very easy to care for.

check out www.cornsnake.net for a great cornsnake breeder...the site has a ton of pictures of all corn morphs, and a good care sheet :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. pieluver

pieluver New Member

Ok, but the type of snake depends on the size, i wouldnt mind getting a corn snake, in fact, i want one more than the milk snake, but it all depends on my mom, she doesnt like big snakes, so, i was wondering, what size do they grow up to be, and how thick do they get?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MimC

MimC Moderator

Well it all depends - the range is 3-6ft. Females tend to stay smaller - closer to the 3ft range, males get larger - closer to 5 or 6ft...the average thickness is about the size of a silver dollar - maybe a bit bigger? Go with a female, definately if size is an issue.

Here is a pic of my almost full grown reverse okeetee corn (she is full length - now she is just getting chubby, lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my bloodred male as a hatchling

[​IMG]

This is him now at 3yrs old - it takes them about five years to get full grown - he still has quite a bit of length and girth to put on...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

12. pieluver

pieluver New Member

That helps alot about the corn snake, and nice snakes you got there. But im trying to compare.. how long does the milk snake get? This will help my begging :)

13. MimC

MimC Moderator

Milk snakes are similar in size and weight - howerver they tend to be less mellow, not always but often they are more jumpy, difficult to handle, more apt to bite and musk - they are also more expensive. For a first time snake i would definately recomend a corn snake!

14. pieluver

pieluver New Member

Thats good. Ok, I guess il go with corn snake, so il ask a few question

Tank:
    what substrate is good for them? Iv heard that aspen is good substrate along with paper towels.
    What other things can i use in a tank as hides?

And food:
    How often do i feed around 1 1/2 - 2 month old snakes?
    I feed them pinkies while theyr growing right?

Thats all for now, note that i am not going to get one soon, i have to wait through winter and spring, so in a while il probably be able to get one.
    Oh, and also can you post a picture of your tank so i can get some ideas? that would really help.

15. MimC

MimC Moderator

Aspen shavings are great (and cheap!) I use that with all of my guys, hatchlings and up. Some folks recomend paper towels for younger specimens...i perosnally have found that a small tank with aspen shavings and adequate hides work well for hatchlings too...although, as long as you have proper hides - paper towels are fine too.

They should have three hides at least, a warm, a cool and a humid hide, a water dish....other than that - any branches and climbing things are appreciated by them.

My feeding routing is every 4-5days for hatchlings, weekly for slighly older snakes up until adulthood - then wean down to feeding weekly or every other week to prevent obiesity in my adults.

You can start with pinkies then go up from there - fuzzies, hoppers, small adults, adults, small rats.

The Corn snake manual, by kathy love is a great book. so is "Corn snakes in captivity" by Don Soderberg (owner of south mountain reptiles).

I will take a pic of my tanks tonight if you want and post it - however they are pretty basic...40breeders for my adults, three hides, a water dish....with my babies i usually include an extra hide and some climbing stuff. I will post it tonight :rolleyes:

16. MimC

MimC Moderator

Also, if size is really going to be an issue - you may consider a Rosy Boa. They are very small, usually 2ft or less total length - very mellow, slow moving, sweet tempered snakes :rolleyes: care is easy too...

17. MimC

MimC Moderator

Ok, well here are some pics of my various colubrid tanks...sorry the pics are so dark, the lighting in my reptile room is really poor.

[​IMG]

My 3yr old male bloodred, Virus' tank. (Ignore the fact it says ball python on it, lol - second hand tank!)

[​IMG]

My 4yr old female, Autumns tank

[​IMG]

My Juvi Bairds Ratsnake tank

[​IMG]

Hatchling Rosy Boa tank

Hope these are useful!

18. pieluver

pieluver New Member

Ok thanks those are good pictures. I didnt see the rosy boa tank though. Sorry for a strange question, but is a rosy boa a type of corn snake? i highly doubt that but still curious. Anyway thanks, the pics were big help.

19. MimC

MimC Moderator

Nope, a Rosy Boa is a type of boa...they are awesome...small, slow moving, super cute!!!

Did the picture not show up?

Im glad that the pics help!

20. pieluver

pieluver New Member

I think that once i will say the word 'boa' my mom will freak out, so i dont think a boa will work out. Yea the last picture of the boa didnt show up, can you post it again?