Introducing new lizards and a gripe about a petshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by ferret_corner, Jul 19, 2004.

1. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

I know I know we've heard it all about petshops and their lousy setups, advice, etc. But this is different. This jerk tried to rip me off because I'm a WOMAN!

I breed pictus geckos, lots of you know that. I've seen pictus for sale for $35 to $200+ on the internet. The cheaper geckos are "wild caught" and have no real pattern.

MY geckos are a gorgeous deep red with CLEAR white patterns. Single verticle stripe, three to 4 horizontal stripes, sometimes a combo of both and of course I do have the occasional broken pattern.

ALSO my geckos have not EVER in my experience or their previous owner turned a "wild pattern".

ANYWAY.....

... I've got babies to spare, so I'm calling around trying to sell a few whole sale to some petshops that I have respect for. Two of 5 say they no longer carry the high end herps, two more say they no longer carry herps at all, and the last one says, "We buy those lizards for $10 a piece from a local breeder." Now I'm freaking out. I had just gotten these lizards and didn't understand the colors and specifics completely and I was wondering if the breeder had ripped ME off. Well, finally several months later, I manage to drop in to the reptile shop and get a look at his "$10 lizards" they are wild patterns and ugly. I couldn't hold it, it was frantic to get away, unlike mine. AND he was selling a $35 lizard for $80. JERK!!!!!! Of course he wasn't there so I couldn't rip him a new one. Although frankly I was so dissapointed in his lack of respect for someone he didn't know, to think I wouldn't drop in and check it out, I just got really depressed and left.

Now in general this shop is really good. I've never heard bad info come from any employees mouth, because if they don't know they say so, and if you buy an animal and still need info, the owner calls you to fill you in, if you ask. Still, I'm peeved!

NOW!!! About my NEW babies!

Well, they aren't babies. I've got three new leopard geckos. One blizzard male, and two high yellow males. Yeah, when it rains it pours. The blizzard was supposed to be a female, but when I compared my new pet to another in a different petshop, the one in the petshop had no pores at all although both lizards were the same size.

I need to look a bit more into it, to make sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm stuck with three males. Which ok, but now, I have to hunt for affordable females! I know I can guilt the shop I got the blizzard from, into selling me a female at wholesale or outright giving it to me, for pain and suffering and mental aguish (we're friends!) rotfl.

I'd love to post pics, but my computer is acting wonky so we'll see!

Allright, heading out now (after I get caught up on the boards) to get sex info for the leopard geckos.....

Sharon