is my boa poorly?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by medusa, Dec 7, 2004.

1. medusa

medusa New Member

well the tank is all glass with a mesh lid, it has a couple of shelves fitted in it, and there is a heat mat under the glass on the warm side, along with the ceramic heater over the top. Our house is cold in the winter, and being a glass tank we had problems last winter keeping it warm enough. The dealer who sold us the snake said it was the most suitable tank for him, but We've had a few problems with the set-up.
    We are planning to get a new, larger vivarium for him, with one of the newer types of heater - the flat type that fixes to the roof of the viv. And we will proboably use reptile carpet. Going to get new thermometers today.
    The snake has been having a good long rest, his breathing seems a bit better. He's certainly not as restless as he has been.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. reptcrs

reptcrs New Member

That's GOOD to hear, I bet the floor was too warm. Y ou have to be careful with those heat mats, some of them can get too hot.

It's good to hear your getting a new digital thermometer today. Check that area on the floor where where your heat mat is, the temperature might be too high.

Good luck with your boa.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. medusa

medusa New Member

just thought you would all like to know, Samba is much better and has fed tonight. He's in his new viv, we got him a big hollow log for a hide and he loves it. No sign of the breathing difficulties he was having a few days ago.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. reptcrs

reptcrs New Member

GREAT news, glad to hear he's feeding too. What did you decide to use for substrate? Did you guys get the reptile carpet?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he's doing better! :D

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. medusa

medusa New Member

thanks! we are using reptile carpet for all our snakes now, except for the hognose, who likes to burrow.

12. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

Use newspaper. At some point in my life I realized that a good looking tank wasnt my ultimate priority. Repti-Bark is nice and expensive, Newspaper is abundant and cheap. Throw it away everday regardless of poops. get into the habit.

13. BoidMastaBrownsburgIN

BoidMastaBrownsburgIN Embryo

Oh I need to add something from my previous post. I have had experience with repti carpet. There is a draw back that I have noticed. The carpet retains moisture extremely well ( Including urine ) So make sure you wash it alot. Even after I washed it the smell was always there.

14. medusa

medusa New Member

yes, we've noticed that. We occasionally use a reptile-specific disinfectant/deodorant, which helps.

15. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Actually you can just use a 10% bleach solution to disinfect. It's easy, cheap, and doesn't leave any residue. Just make sure it's rinsed well before replacing it.

16. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

Aspen is the dustiest substrate I've ever dealt with. Terrible choice for rainbows IMO because it molds easily, not good for humid enclosures. Cypress on the other hand is great. It resists molds and can take the humidity.