Kaya, Our Black Lab Puppy

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Janice, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

No, I don't mind at all, kephy! You guys made me smile with your doggie pics. We also have a boxer X that we adopted from the Humane Society, and absolutely the best dog, ever. We've had her for 8 years. We also had a mutt that we couldn't keep because he kept nipping at the kids. I think we are just going to see if we can find another black lab. My hubby whines everyday, without fail, about how he misses her.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I do agree with Kephy that most top notch breeders have no problems placing their pups. Many actually have wait lists. If you are looking for some particular traits/personalities associated with specific breeds, you can always look at breed specific rescues. There are lots of loving purebreds looking for homes there. These places specialize in adoption of specific breeds. They know the breed specific traits and often know the complete history of the animal unlike some general shelters.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. liza714

liza714 Member

I got my current Border collie from North American Border Collie Rescue. I think their adoption process was tougher than adopting a child. Borders in particular are having a rough time right now because they made the top of the dog intelligence list. Doesn't sound too bad but Joe Schmo decides he wants the most intelligent dog because he is an intelligent guy. Dog runs the house, acts nutty, herds a few kids, and ends up in the pound. I love my BC but I don't recommend them for anyone.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kephy

kephy Moderator

I've heard they are a very high maintenance dog. I wouldn't ever get one unless I had a ranch and enough time and space to keep it stimulated.

Though I'm having a bit of a chuckle at the mental image of a border collie herding kids. :D

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. alison1

alison1 Member

Thanks for your understanding back there kephy! l was starting to feel really bad for not getting this dog from the pound aswell! l don't know of any dachsund recue centres (or any thing like that) around here and don't have anyone to ask either as you know l have a language barrier here! But l do intend when lan retires buying a large house with a huge plot of land and keeping a few dogs as well as setting up a foster centre (have a lot of research to do but thats the idea in mind and has been for years) at least this way l know the dogs will never be put down! l know it will be a huge responsibility but with lan being army we get a good retirement pay and l am a nail technician on the verge of buying a salon (as at present l work from home) so hopfully l will have a string of salons and will have the income to support such and idea! Only time will tell! And now l have done my babbling l'm going to go and let my dragons out for a run!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. alison1

alison1 Member

Good luck in your search for a black lab janice! l do have to say that you seem to be alot more animal orientated over there! ln the uk there are no where near as many rescue centres! l think it is your ways that have made me want to do what l want to do when lan retires!

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

Dachsunds are such awesome dogs. We had long-hairs when I was growing up. :D

13. Blane

Blane New Member

First of all I'm sorry for your losses Janice and Alison1 its always hard to lose a pet. Now I've got my own story to share. My first dog, a male border collie named Hank, born July 4th 2004 died December 24th 2004.
    He was shot and killed by our neighbor for "Chasing his Chickens" and supposedly killing one whch we later found out it wasn't him it was a bobcat living in our woods.

14. alison1

alison1 Member

l thought l'd replied to this but it must have been when my compouter was playing up! No way, Blane that is awful, can't you them done for something like that! Who in there right mind would just go and kill something! Has he apologised for being wrong at least? l'm so sorry to hear this happened to you!

15. Blane

Blane New Member

Well at first he had no remorse whatsoever but finally I think his wife maid him do it but he finally apologised although I still hate him for it.

16. alison1

alison1 Member

l can fully understand that you hate him! Think l would've gone round and punched him one! l know it wouldn't bring him back but l would certainly feel better!

17. Janice

Blane, That is terrible. We think that is what happened to my hubby's dog, Bear. He took the dog to his parents for a couple of weeks, and it just disappeared. Just disgusting...

18. Janice

On a happier note....We now have a chocolate lab, named Hershey. She is only 4 weeks old, but her mother pretty much abandoned the litter. She has been vet checked and is a healthy little thing. Very cute. We didn't get her from a rescue, because when we got Kaya, we went to the rescue here as well as the one in kingston, which is about 45 minutes away. The rescues around here are not really adopter friendly, they make you feel like a criminal for wanting to adopt a dog, they are really just terrible.

19. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Blane - I am speechless...I'd go and shoot all of his chickens! (not really but sure would feel like it!)

Janice, congrats on Hershey! you've got your work cut out with a 4 wk old! You're going to have to teach her stuff her mom would have taught her at that age! But bet she's sssooo cute!!
    We're starting to look at getting another lab pup too - if the right one comes along who needs a home.

20. liza714

liza714 Member

Blane that utterly and truly sucks. Borders are well known for liking to run which exposes them to all sorts of trouble. If you ever decide to get another one a good fence cannot be underestimated. It might just protect him from so psycho neighbor with a gun. P.S. I hope he chokes to death on a chicken bone

21. alison1

alison1 Member

When l said l would go around and thump him l'm not actually suggesting you do by the way! Jnice you don't seem to be having much luck do you!? Well l'm glad you have found yourself a new friend and hope he bring you and your family all the joy in the world! l pick up my dog in 5 week! l can't wait! We have started my son on a good boy chart, he isn't bad he just has a very low attention span, this is helping alot, and if at the end of the day he has more smileys than sad faces then he gets a euro to put in a jar so he can buy his new dog squeekies, chews and stuff like that, he's actually loving the fact that all of this good behavior is getting him closer to having his dog! lt's also helping pass the time!

22. Blane

Blane New Member

Well thanks everybody it feels good to know that there is people out there who really care!

Alison- Beleive me I never wanted to hit anyone as bad as I did him!! And dont worry I wouldn't try it now, now that I've cooled down somewhat I realize that he would have creamed me

Janice- I'm Really sorry for your loss it really sucks to lose a pet that way. And congrats on getting Hershey I hope she brings you much joy and happyness.

Spot- I actually considerd getting my 22. and blowing his precius little chickens to bits, that JERK!!!

Liza- I hope he chokes to death to!!! Anyway we do have a fence now luckaly for our other dogs.

23. alison1

alison1 Member

Sorry haven't been on much this week! Yes, congrats janice on hershey! Hope your son feels a bit better now! L know it won't take away the pain of losing a pet but at least it softns the blow a bit for them! l thought morgan had stopped thinking about ingo as he hadn't metioned him for a couple of weeks and all of a sudden 2 days ago he burst into tears and said he was worried about ingo as he had no-one there who could stroke him and love him and that he misses him and loves him very much and wants him back! l could do nothing else but hold him and cry myself! l hate it when he's sad but our dog new doesn't come for another 4 weeks so his mind is still very much on ingo! l don't want him to forget him l just want his mind occupied so he isn't sad all of the time about losing him!

24. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

Everyone, sorry for your losses, i work at an animal sanctuary, and have been bitten/scratched/growled at so many times, but im not bothered, someone needs to look after the animals, and im glad to help out... all dogs/cats anything like that which i ever get during my life are going to be from animal sanctuaries. i dont understand people who can deliberatley shoot/hurt a dog... they are such loving animals, even the vicious ones given enough time and attention...

25. Kiwi

Kiwi Embryo

That's terrible. Well, at least he's not suffering, wherever he is.

I lost a dog when I was just little. It sucked, for lack of a better word. Oscar was the most beautiful dog. You'd have probably seen him in shows if he wasn't a mutt. We went to Connecticut to visit our relatives, since we lived in Florida at the time, and when we came back he had gotten his leash stuck in the bushes and strangled. It was just horrible.