Landlords and reptiles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by FLBlue, Oct 28, 2005.

1. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

I have to move because my current landlord is selling the house I rent.
    So I'm looking around at places to live and I have a question for any of you all that rent....did you have to pay a pet fee to have reptiles or any other animals that are kept in tanks or aquariums?
    a couple of landlords i talked to said i would have to pay $200 PER PET and if they consider all my reptiles as pets then I would have to pay $800 just for the reptiles not including my dogs. with the dogs too i would have to pay $1100 and thats non-refundable. and that just sounds ridiculous to me.
    I have found one place that said that the pet fee is $200 total. but this landlord is only really counting the dogs. he said that any animal kept in an aquarium is not a pet that could do damage so he doesnt count them as a "pet". so i'm trying to get this house because this landlord sounds pretty cool to me and the house is nice.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

I wouldn't worry about telling the landlord anything as long as you aren't movig into an apartment. If its a house/trailor I would just say you have dogs. Thats what I did/do, when they find out you have reptiles/fish they don't care as long as they aren't really big or causeing problems.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FLBlue

FLBlue Member

cool. yeah it's a house. i wouldnt ever live in apt again if i could help it. the reptiles live in their own habitat and they're not smelly and cant do any damage. so yeah thats what i was thinking, just tell them about the dogs...the places that wanted $200 per pet, i just said "forget that".

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sacha

Sacha New Member

Whoever says you have to pau all of that money for your pets is trying to rip you off. Pet fees are usually reasonable if you have a pet that can cause, oders, stains, leave fur behind, etc. into the property and is both a deposit to make sure you will be responsible and also a fee for cleaning after you move out. Pets in tanks may smell depending on the pet, but if they are kept in then tanks, then there will be no damage or after cleaning required for the property. Some places may make you sing a liquid furnbiture agreement in case there is wate r damage from matresses, or even Fish Tanks. Anything else, I think is frivolous and they are just trying to take advantage of the fact you have a pet.

Good luck in finding a place that is a good fit for you and your pet and will not leave your bank account as dry as Arizona heat! :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

So what happens if you have 3 or 4 snakes, you pay $600-800/mo, then they drop 20 babies. Are you expected to pay another $4,000/mo in "Pet Fees"???

Are they stupid or what?

Yeah, definitely not right. With dogs I can understand it, cuz dogs roam, crap in the yard, pull up plants, etc, heh. But a snake that lives in a tank? From a landlord perspective, it's no different to a fish tank (and a lot less risk. A tank with a snake in it isn't gonna break and flood your house, heh).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

if you have a fish tank that can "flood" your house you need a bigger house or smaller tank, one of the two lol

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

smaller tank, if I setup fish, it'd have to be HUGE :)

13. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

lol fish tanks are cool and all, not to mention beautiful especially saltwater tanks but they are time consuming and expensive. I would love to have a saltwater tank but i dont have the money or the time and if i did have the money it would go towards BPs first

14. ChamBreeder2005

ChamBreeder2005 New Member

I have a Marine Fish tank I don't rent but the house insurance is more than it was before when i just had reptiles.

15. ktexp2

ktexp2 Embryo

My landlord is pretty cool about exotic pets. There was a "no-pet" clause in the initial lease, but when we asked about our bird (the only pet we had when we moved in), he was fine with it. He just doesn't want us to have a huge dog or a million cats, which we wouldn't have anyway.

Sometimes a local humane agency keeps a list of pet-friendly landlords. That may be useful if this guy doesn't work out.

16. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

I don't pay any pet fees, my landlord is cool since he knows/has seen the tanks and know we keep the place fairly clean.

17. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Member

my old landloards changed their minds about fish tanks after i moved out. it was a 2 bedroom appt in a rickity old building (first floor was a strationary store). i had a 75, 55, three 30's, one 29, four 10's and a bunch of beta tanks in one room. the floor was sagging in that room when i left, but hey, not my problem.

as far as caged pets, most renters are cool with it as long as you stay in their good graces. just dont give them a reason to ***** and they wont.

~Will.