Leopard Gecko Eye Problems...

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by lizardgurl87, Sep 26, 2013.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Wow, hasn't it been forever since I've got a chance to get on here?!? :O I know I can still turn to you guys for help :)

So, I recently(a few days ago)acquired another leo through a flier I saw at my local grocery store! I didn't notice before taking him home, but his eyes seem pretty screwed up. I was noticing he wasn't eating and he is rather thin(not like bony, but not as plump as he should be)and upon close inspection, one eye is closed and swollen and the other has like a film over it almost?

The family that had him before had cared for him, but didn't seem to know everything about caring for him...since, I do not believe he ever had a humid hide(hence the shedding issues they told me about)and they only fed him mealworms for the last while? Though, I'm not even that sure he'd been eating much, since I don't think he can see to eat. And plus, when I got home to clean the tank, there were a bunch of mealworms under the repti-carpet they'd had and it was not very cleanly :/

I just bought a thermometer to determine temps, since they hadn't had one of those either. I'm keeping him warm for now, and of course have made a moist hide(which he doesn't seem very interested in)but, what can I do about the eyes exactly?

I had a similar issue with my anole a few years back, as you may remember, and I cleared up his eyes by cleansing them and giving him some antibiotics. Though, I know anoles and leos are different, so not as sure what to do here...I may try just lightly using a moist Q-tip around the eyes for now. I'll try to post pics soon, I'm going to look better with a mag glass here soon too, so I can maybe see better what exactly is happening. I'm thinking it's shed skin buildup mostly?

And I'll also update that my original leo, Izo, is doing great too! She's so big now :) I also happened to get a wood frog a few months ago(a rescue)that has just fattened up. Haze, my gray tree frog, is as good as ever also.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Well I'm glad Izo is doing well :)
    I don't have too much time but it sounds like he has eye caps (retained shed on his eyes) and that one might have gotten infected. You should probably take him to your local herp vet so he can give you the correct ointment to put on his eyes to get rid of the infection and to get the retained shed off of his other eye.
    To get more info please do a search in the Leo forum for "eye caps" and you'll find a number of other users who have gone through this situation before. Good luck!! Hope he gets better soon!

lizardgurl87 likes this.