live plants

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by lemon, Nov 23, 2003.

1. lemon

lemon Embryo

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what would be good live plants to put in with a ball python I currently have a snake plant but, would like to put a couple others in, it might even help with my humidity problem, I just can't find any sites that people use live plants, its always fake one.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Aloe plants are good plants for any reptile. We used to plant bunches of those with our anoles, and we occasionally see young black racers hanging out in our aloe plants in the back yard (probably looking for anoles to eat, heh).

What's the height on your enclosure?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sapphire_moon

sapphire_moon Embryo

Live plants for a bp? Bp's will trash most live plants. lol, plus they have to be able to support the weight of a fully grown bp, so you want something more like a tree.....I can give you a site that has a forum for live plant use in tanks if you want....it's another herp site though so I don't know if I'm allowed to, if yhou want the name of it let me know....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. azsnkman

azsnkman Embryo

any kind of plants will be pointless for a snake..they will just tear them up just about every night when their out on a stroll

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Snakes are rough on plants. But if your enclosure is large enough and you have room for potted plants, a nice established Ficus is usually durable enough. A full-grown ball will most likely break it down if it tries to climb on it, but depending on the size, a young ball may be okay. I have found that potted plants are better than trying to create and enclosure to plant directly into. They're more stable.
    But in the long run, some dried driftwood or cactus and artificial foliage will be easier to maintain and you can clean and disinfect it more often. Plus, replacing live plants that die can be costly, so I'd vote artificial if you really want something that will "grow" with you.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. auskan

auskan Embryo

I tried live plants with my ball python. Let's just say I now have plastic plants :)

12. caliking

caliking New Member

ferns, ficus, weeping fig