Living together

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by dizzyat30, Jun 22, 2007.

1. dizzyat30

dizzyat30 Embryo

I have a tokay in a 20 gallon tank, we have no problems with him health wise or otherwise; however we bought a much larger tank and would like to know if there is any other type of reptile or anfibian that I can put all together in the larger tank with Steve. If we cant put him with anything else what can we put together in there. Would like several types. Our snake, turtles, and fish are all seperate but they live in 2's for the company factor. Poor Stever is alone and we would just like the look of a jungle type setting in there. Please help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Hi dizzyat and welcome to the forums. Tokays IMO would live a healthier, happier life alone. Stress would be minimal, and dominance issues would not exist. I think a 20 gal is a little too small for an adult tokay, as they are very active, and they do love to jump. Mixing species is really not an idea and should be avoided by all means. If you want to put anything in with him, do for another tokay, but make sure you do not house two males. Also be prepared for breeding if you house a male and a female (VERY time consuming and EXPENSIVE!). Also if you do decide to house together make sure you quarantine the new gecko for 90 days to make sure that there is no spread of disease.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dizzyat30

dizzyat30 Embryo

thanks , what other types can i mix excluding him

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

Mixing species is frowned upon as a whole regarding reptiles. They have different needs, and will live much better lives alone or with their own species if they are sociable.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. camo_pants

camo_pants New Member

tokays will eat other lizards so be very careful if you decide to go through with it. I would leave him alone. I had a freind who requested a female tokay ended up putting a premature male in the tank with a male and female they already had and it ended up having it's bottom jaw ripped off and they had to get it euthanized.
    they are very sad, it just happened this week

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dizzyat30

dizzyat30 Embryo

ok i didnt say i was doing it. the reason i came on here was to see if i could put ANYTHING together. Im leaving the tokay by himself. I just wanted to know if I could mix, you like frogs and newets and things like that, Any at all. It is just a question

12. ___LIAM___

___LIAM___ Embryo

i mixed a wd and a tokay but everyone will say dont,although mine are both healthy,happy and eating

13. 00luke00

The key is they are both happy for THE TIME BEING. I would not reccomend mixing species under ANY circumstances!

14. brendywendy

brendywendy Well-Known Member

mixing species is a bad idea

you are anthropomorphicizing,(is that a word?:Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.
    )
    they are not like us, and any idea that you may have that he is sad or lonely is purely you putting your human expectations/emotions onto the reptile.
    they dont need company,they dont like company, will do better on their own, its easier to monitor poop and eating etc, no transfer of parasites
    no fighting/bullying/dominance issues, no constant breeding, and so ill health of the female, plus massive care costs for the babies

the reasons for not doing it are many
    the reasons for doing it are becuase you(people, not you personally) think they are lonely, which they are not
    apart from maybe wanting to mate when adult- in the wild there will not often be a receptive female for many miles, hence the loud mating call.-they dont require a friend

15. Flanker

Flanker Embryo

Alright slightly new topic. Im thinking of getting two Tokays, to avoid fighting and breeding should I get two females or wold they also try to dominate each other?

Also, Ive seen Tokays living peacefully with Golden Geckos as long as they are around the same size, do you think this would be the same with Giant Day Geckos?