Looking for a New Addition to my Collection

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by curlytop93, Jan 4, 2007.

1. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Hey guys, my ball python has been such a nice experience for me that now I am looking to get another snake. I really would prefer a thicker bodied snake, I really just love the apperance more. Are there any species of thick-bodied snakes that do not get really big? I really want a red tail or columbian boa, but they seem to get bigger than what I can handle right now. Some suggestions/caresheet links would be great.
    Thank you, Amirah

Some that I would think that wold be nice but wuld have to read more about are:
    1) Solomon Island Boa
    2) Dumeril's Ground boa
    3) Rosy Boa
    4) Kingsnake

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. J32A2

J32A2 New Member

How about a Hog Island boa? Males rarely exceed 5 feet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. burky_tc

burky_tc Member

How about an Irian Jaya Carpet Python. Male should stay around 5-6 feet long and are decently heavy bodied.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Both are really cool, but I really like the Hog Island Boa. How's there care?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Blake_Herman

Blake_Herman Well-Known Member

carpets aren't heavy bodied at all, irian jayas are a little thicker for their length, but most carpets at 3 ft. long are thin as a pencil... I personally think the dumeril's are a beautiful and thick snake. But they can be a little large. I've seen some females that were 8-9 ft. and PRETTY thick... I haven't really looked into them to see how common that is, but it's all what you're up for...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jordao_51

jordao_51 Member

How about a Borneo short-tailed python, males generally are about 4 feet, and if you like thick-bodied snakes, there isnt much thicker than these, there beautiful too

heres a care sheet: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBorneo.html

12. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

i have a female Dumeril's Ground Boa and she is a great snake..very gentle and laid back...only time she's been tempramental is when she was defensive or hungry but other then those times she's been great

Dumeril's Ground Boa's average out at 6-7ft but some have been known to get 8-9ft...and can get as thick as 1 liter bottle of coke where ball python only get about as thick as a 12oz can of soda...they range anywhere from 15-25lbs in weight...as adults they also tend to get over-weight on a normal 7 day feeding schedule so feeding them every 10-14 days is better to keep them from getting fat

http://www.dumerils.com/dumerils_care.html <<....is a good care sheet for dumeril's

[​IMG]

^^....is a picture of mine

13. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

They are really great, I think I'm going to look into a dumeril. I'm up for it, as long as I can get my parents up for it as well. lol :p My mom is no problem, it's my dad that I need to push a little. What size of tank is yours in DreamingofDragons, and what size of tank do you think you could start one out in?

14. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

mine is 3ft 6ins long and is in a 52 1/8"L x 20 7/8"W x 14 1/16"T tub its a Iris(the brand) Holiday Tree Storage Box...you can find them at walmart for around $10. But if your going to get a baby go with something smaller as dumeril's are a shy species of snake and big open spaces would stress a baby dumeril's...if you go with a tank get a 20 gallon long if its baby or similarly sized tub....if its going to be a bigger one(like mine..mine's an '05) get a bigger tank or a tub like i did for mine...you can use a heat mat on the tubs you just to make sure you use a thermostat or rheostat to control the temp to protect both snake and tub from getting burned or melted.

dumeril's are great snakes you won't be disappointed..

15. spix14

spix14 Member

Just putting in my vote for a Borneo short tail, but then I'm a bit biased....

16. SPJ

SPJ New Member

Bluefields locale Nicaraguan BCI. They originate on the side by Costa Rica unlike the more common nics which come from the other side.

They are a dwarf BCI. This 1.1 pair is 18 months old.
    VERY difficult to acquire but well worth it.

[​IMG]

17. curlytop93

curlytop93 Member

Man, they are very nice too. If they're very difficult to aqquire though, I may have to get something that is a little easier. They are really cute though...

18. SPJ

SPJ New Member

There is only 1 pair left available for sale that i know of.
    Only 32 were brought in and they have all been bought.
    If you wanted to get a pair you would need to contact Ed Clark. No one else is selling any and the rest of us already have full waiting lists for offspring.
    Here is Ed's ad on KS.
    http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=468639

19. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I would recommend a Solomon or a Hogg. I love them both, but I onlyreally have experience with the Solomon. And they are really awesome snakes :D

[​IMG]
    So that's India. I think she's gorgeous.
    I just really wish more people would get them. I can't find anyone else who has one, so it's hard to get more info on them. This is all I've found
    http://www.kingsnake.com/candoia/gem.html