ma snake has a blue spot

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by abcornsnake12, Jan 11, 2004.

1. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

hey i have a ab corn and when i was holding him i noticed that there was a blue stop on his bottom and it felt like it was shedding in a few spots it was like that 2 what is it is it part of shedding

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It shouldn't shed in a few spots, it should shed all over all at once...

Make sure that it has a fresh water source available, and that there is a hide there with a surface available for rubbing against to get the skin off.

If the snake's skin is coming off in pieces, then either the tank is too dry, there is no water bowl, or there are more serious problems going on that may require veterinary care.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

he has water what aout the blue spot is that just like a birth mark or somthing what should i do to make it less drie could it be becasue the temps are 95 to 100 in the day time please help

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

95-100 is way too hot, you need it around about 85 for a corn snake. Yes, it gets up to 100 in their native ranges in Florida during the day, but at that time they are hidden in darkness, where it is much cooler.

Chances are, the 95-100 temperature is drying out the enclosure way too much and that is why you are seeing the problems now.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

i now have a fifty wat it should me better is this long time problem or sshould it go away

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

It will go away in time if the problems with the setup are fixed.

What wattage was the bulb before?

Also, you will probably want to give your snake a soak or two, to help get that other dry skin off.

12. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

75w witha 4w heat pad in a 5 1/2 size tank

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You probably won't even need a light at all if you have a heatpad in there.

They are not desert animals, and usually come out in the evening when the temps are around 75 or so, and get their belly heat from rocks & road surfaces.

The heat pad alone should be fine.

14. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

but if i just get a small wat light would that be good or should i get a small heat rock becasue they make some that dont have hot spots

15. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a heat rock that doesn't develop heat spots, and do not let pet stores trick you into thinking otherwise. ANY heatrock can fail at any time and start developing hot spots that WILL cause thermal burns to your animal.

You already have a heatpad, why do you need anything else?

16. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Can you give a better description of how you are keeping the snake?
    Dimensions and type of cage-
    Type of substrate-
    What kind of thermometer do you have-
    Where are you measuring your temps-
    What are the humidity levels in your tank-

Like Axe had said, a heat pad alone should be more than sufficient for a small tank if setup properly. It is also important that you have several hides for the snake so that it can choose a spot whereever the temperature and humidity levels are right for it.

17. BoaMan

BoaMan New Member

From what I've read around, it sounds like he has a 2 foot corn in a 5 1/2 gallon aquarium with a heatpad and a 50 watt lamp that was a 75 watt.

18. strobe212

strobe212 Embryo

i have a similar problem. i have a corn in a 10 gallon tank with a heatpad and a 50 watt red bulb (its cold here so with all that its about 75-80). the snake is now sheding. first the eyecaps came off and the head skin came off, but her whole body looks like its time to shed but its coming off in little chunks. now its been 2 days since ive seen any visible change and it looks like only the top 4 inches of her body sheded. how long does the shedding process take? i have a water bowl in there but she never seems to drink from it unless she does it when im asleep.
    next thing is that i tried to pick her up today and she snaped at me. now it didnt hurt, i dont think i even felt it, but its something i dont want her to do. is it b/c shes sheding and tempermental or is there a way to train her not to snap at me. btw, when i feed her i put her in a tupperware container till shes done, but i put the container in the cage b/c my rooms cold. its something im pretty sure i learned from Axe.

19. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

He posted somewhere that it is about 31 days old. So I doubt it's 2 foot yet. But I'm not sure.

20. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Yeah strobe, she could be irritated by the problem she's currently having shedding and simply doesn't want to be messed with. Putting the tub in the enclosure for feeding isn't a problem, the main reason for using the tub at all is simply so that when you put your hand in the tank, they don't automatically assume food's coming and snap at you.

Like you said though, a corn snake bite is nothing, you can barely even feel it, but it's a good practice to get into, especially if you intend to get into snakes with a little more painful bite.

What I would do to help your shedding problem, is simply to soak the snake. Get some water in a tub, water that feels a little bit warm to you, but not real warm, and hold the snake in your hands as you lower her into the water. The dead skin that she's trying to shed will start to absorb the water, and should help her get rid of most of the shed.

I've only seen my corns drink a few times - usually right when I bring them home from a show, I'll hold them over a water bowl and they'll lower their heads to drink. But I don't see it often. Usually they'll grab a drink when you're sleeping, or not watching them - unless you sit n' watch them a WHOLE lot without interfering :)