Male Anole

Discussion in 'Reptile Classifieds' started by lizardgurl87, Mar 10, 2012.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, a few months ago I got a young anole, thinking it was a girl, to keep with my male. Recently, he's turned out to be a boy and they've been fighting(don't worry-seperating them). I'm posting this also on FaunaClassifieds and I will be contacting a local, private owned petshop to see if they'll take him and possibly even trade him for a female(hopefully and I'll make sure they order a female so I'm sure). This sucks and I feel sort of bad, but I can't get a whole other set up now, and I'd rather keep my 1st guy. Any other ideas or would anyone like him? I could ship him if needed, but that would cost some. I plan on going to the next Cleveland Reptile Show(April 15th) and could trade/sell him then too, if he's not already gone.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

That sucks, I wish you could keep him. I can't take him but I can tell you a pet store won't take him. Petstores like Petco and Petsmart do not take good care of their reptiles in the first place (which is why I wouldnt even call) and you would have an extremely hard time convincing them to take it and even if you do, it will take a long amount of time. Believe me when I say it, don't take him to a pet store.

I don't really have anything to say except don't take him to a pet store at all. It will take weeks, possible months for you to convince them and even if you do take him, they might give him poor care.

Cherin likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

She did say a small, privately owned one. Maybe it will be better than the ones you mentioned.

I know there are a few stores around here that are smaller, and one that is specifically just for reptiles, and they take good care of their animals, and I know of situations from both of them where they have taken animals in and resold them when the owners couldn't keep them.

Best of luck with finding him a home!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

Well, I called them and they said they would take him as soon as I can make it over there. I did get him from there in the first place, and they understand that I can't keep him anymore-they just want to look him over to make sure he's healthy and they'll take him. These people are really responsible with them, like I mentioned at first and @mr_andrew pointed out, they are a local, small and privately owned place.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Karlee

Karlee Member

This is why I nearly failed reading, I dont use context clues and I am stupid.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

It's fine :) You are right about the bigger chain pet shops anyways. They usuakky don't take good care of the animals and I'm sure they wouldn't take one from someone. They uaully buy from certain places and big breeders. They probably have contracts with those people and the animals probably have to be checked by a vet too. You're not stupid though, I'm sure you were jst in a rush-I am a lot and don't have time to read a whole long thing. Maybe you could try to read more completely to be sure though-I'll even miss things sometimes and most times find myself looking up bigger words and medical type terms on Google lol :p

12. Karlee

Karlee Member

Yeah, I was just trying to make a point out anyways. I read that when I was researching about hamsters a while ago (my hamster only lasted two weeks, never buy from Petco or Petsmart, I think I bought him from Petco). Anyways, I know I'm not stupid, it is like a slap on the hand that I really didnt need to post, but felt the need to tell the world how I felt apparently. Anyways, my point initially was most big petstores suck badly. Citypets, Petco, and Petsmart are the ones I could name without really thinking about it.​

13. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Nah don't be so hard on yourself, you made some valid points.

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

FYI- it is Petco corporate policy to take back any animal that was purchased there, no matter how long ago.

JEFFREH and lizardgurl87 like this.
  15. Karlee

Karlee Member

Huh... Wish I still had Mikey