mannerisms....gestures

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by paul_pa, Feb 1, 2008.

1. paul_pa

paul_pa Embryo

Hiya all! I'm a new guy and have 3 green anoles.......when they bob their heads up and down and puff up the skin under their chin are they mad at one another? Are they afraid of something? Thanks for helping this rookie......Paul

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Post moved from Site Feedback And Questions.

Hey, maybe you could post pics of your anoles? Thing is with anoles, as with most other herps, males cannot be housed together. This may be a territorial act and could, in the long run, lead to more harm than good.

Luke

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Oh, and how rude of me, WELCOME TO RR! I hope you enjoy your time here :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. paul_pa

paul_pa Embryo

Thanks Luke...I'll try....new to everything.....get my son to take pics.....he might know how to send them to the site. The one anole is green in color when it puffs up. The other 2 "green" anoles have not changed green from their brown color yet. They were just intoduced to the original guy? I hope they turn green...that's the variety I wanted. Thanks again. - Paul

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. toxicneon_yahoo_com

toxicneon_yahoo_com Embryo

It may be the original anole is defending his territory and is showing the newcomers "This is my house."
    It's a sign of dominance and you should watch them when feeding, as they might not all get food. The dominant one is usually the one who will hog food or even attack other anoles. If the other brown ones also have dewlaps (skin under chin) then they are male and should not be housed together. What size tank do you have?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. paul_pa

paul_pa Embryo

haven't seen dewlaps on the brown ones yes and haven't shown green either...LOL.....the tank is 10 gal. aquarium that might be too small for all three....hmmm..... :idea: