mealworm pupa

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by jmadams, Sep 23, 2004.

1. jmadams

jmadams New Member

Since my mealworm colonie is gettign off great (better than I expected) I have more pupa than I know what to do with. I don't want to waste them so....

Can/will Leo's eat them? How about swifts? Its the only thing my emerald will eat at the moment.

Will they do dormant in the fridge like mealies will so I can store them and use them when needed?

I notice they are less active them the worms, but I was thinking while the leos are digging in the food dish, they migtht move and catch the attention of a hungry leo.

Thanks in advance.
    Joe

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JStrider

JStrider Member

you have to keep the pupaes so they can turn into beatles...

the beatles lay the eggs that hatch into mealworms...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LeoLover

LeoLover New Member

Dont feed the pupae aka aliens to your leo. I hear that the aliens in that stage are producing some kind of chemical in their bodies that is not good for a leo to digest.

You have to keep the pupae in order for them to change to beetles. The more beetles you have, the more mealworms you have. You'll always have a supply of worms for your leo then. :)

I'm not sure if anything will happen to them in the fridge. I have never put my mealies or aliens in the fridge. Mine are left out 24/7.