MITES

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by xjulezxo, Apr 26, 2010.

1. xjulezxo

xjulezxo New Member

Out of no where my snakes have mites like CRAZY. I noticed them on one so we pulled him out and treated a container with proventamite and put him in there and treated his enclosure. We checked the rest of the snakes and they all were ok. We've treated all of the enclosures in the past ( not really all that long ago) so we didn't do anything to the others. The mites have no spread of course. We ran out of proventamite so I just ordered some online. My one python is LOADED and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on something I can do while i wait for the proventamite. I know my veterinarian friend said use ivermectin and water to squirt them down. So i'll be picking some up tomorrow, but I wasn't sure how well the pet store stuff works. Any tips? THANKS! I feel so bad for the poor snake and I really don't want him to end up dead.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. BP36

BP36 New Member

most petstore spray suck, poventamite is the best product hands down. tho this post is old i will say this for future reading. a good quick fix to help the snake along while proventamite is being obtained it to soak in warm water. while the snake soaks, clean out the hell of the enclosure. dry off the snake and coat it with olive oil, careful around the eyes and pits. the point is that any mites still clinging in between scales will be deprives of air and they will die off. plus the snake would enjoy the rub down.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Oil in general is usually rather bad for the skin and scales. Never use any sort of mineral oil or petroleum jelly, the snake will actually lose scales if you do.
    You can soak them in water. It will probably be less stressful for them to just let the Provent-A-Mite do its job, though.

BP36 likes this.