More photography!

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Badger711, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Which crop looks better? I prefer the first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nikon D70s
    Sigma 55-200mm (Shot @ 200mm)
    ISO 200
    f/8
    1/80th shutter speed

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Nice shot I personall like the second one the open space in the first one doesn't really draw the attention to the frog it obviously I the focus but the space doesn't make it pop as much. Were you using a tripod cause I see no shake for 1/80th of a second, which is a good thing

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Awesome shot! Although I do like the crop of the 1st one, I feel that the addition of more colors into the photo in the second make the frog actually "pop" more :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Got it, yup I was using a tripod. I wish I dropped the shutter a little more actually so I could have gotten a better depth of field, his butt is a little out of focus.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I actually prefer the first. 0.o

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

I like the second one! I think the first one has too much black space.

12. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Hmm. Lemme try something. I'll post it in a minute.

13. Badger711

Badger711 Member

How about this? Lessened up the darks and re-cropped.

[​IMG]

14. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

I think the new one does look better! They all look pretty nice though! Great focus, are you learning to work it well? I really want even a beginnner camera like that now! With the nice, adjustable lens and all :)
    So, do you have a gray tree frog? Or did you find him outside or something? I find them outside often(that's where I got mine, since she was injured)they're one of my fave frogs now I think! Mine's pretty calm(for a frog)and they eat epically lol! They look pretty cool too, with the marbled look.

15. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Found him outside, they love to hang out around the pool. DSLR's get expensive quick, just the lens and body are around 300-400, depending on the body. Plus different lenses for different uses are anywhere from 100-8,000 bucks a piece, plus flashes, and such. But, it is awesome to be able to adapt, and I like them most for the manual settings. If you want a really nice point and shoot, look at bridge cameras, which are inbetween DSLR's and cheap point and shoots.

StikyPaws312 and lizardgurl87 like this.
  16. dogking

I agree with Michelle! I love the new one! I love how they have those nice neon green colors!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  17. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Woohoo, thanks for the input guys :D

18. ajlista

To get more depth of field you dont wanna drop your shutter, your fstop is i assume like 3.2-5.6? So, that means zoomed to 55 its 3.2, to 200, its 5.6. The lower your fstop is, which is your apeture the more depth of field you will have. So your's was on 8 with a focal length of 200 if you made it fstop 5.6 or whatever it is, 5.6, 5.8 there would be more depth of field.

19. Badger711

Badger711 Member

It's actually the opposite, the highter the f/stop the greater the depth of field. You have to drop the shutter speed and increase the aperture to get the proper exposure, you could also increase the ISO, leave the shutter alone, and increase the depth of field, I just prefer to keep ISO at 200 so I have minimal noise in the shot.

20. dogking

Some cameras are really weird like that. With my camera the lower the f-stop, the more depth of field. I still haven't really figured out how to adjust everything yet. All I know is that I don't want the ISO to get to high. I usually just lower the shutter speed to get the exposure I want.

21. Badger711

Badger711 Member

It's universal, the higher the f/stop, the less light that enters, because the aperture closes. lower the f number- more light, and vice versa, it's the opposite of what you would think. The higher the f/number the greater the depth of field, and vice versa. The higher the ISO= more noise. Noise is basically chromatically messed up pixels, like this: http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k523/Badger71184/Field Herping/143719439.jpg (Photo Credits to chrish of fieldherpforum.com). Aperture is an opening inside the lens that widens or narrows depending on the f/stop, letting in more or less light, and altering depth of field. Shutter speed is how long the shutter is open, equaling how long the sensor (or film if shooting 35mm) is exposed to the image you are capturing. Shutter speed also is used to determine motion blur, or lack thereof. The combination of these three things determines the exposure.

If you need to capture a bird in flight and "freeze" the motion, you would use a high shutter speed, around 1/250th or so. In order to get the proper exposure, you would need to either lower the f/stop, decreasing the depth of field whilst letting more light in, or increasing the ISO, creating noise but increasing exposure. This is known as the "Exposure Triangle". There are advantages and disadvantages of all three factors, you just have to determine what you need and what you can sacrifice. I'm not even taking into consideration post-shot software such as photoshop/lightroom etc. Those work wonders, noise reduction, sharpening, blurring, etc.

Edit: A "large" aperture, is actually a small number. Large aperture= f/1.8 Small aperture= f/22

Hope this helps :D

22. ajlista

I dont think you get wwhat I mean. The lower the fstop the more depth of field. Yes your aperture is larger witha low fstop but the depth of field is more. Heres a diagram that explains it.
    And i know how it ties into light just as much as your shutter speed as well as iso. But keeping your isop at 200 all the time is always optimal.
    Heres the diagram
    http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/files/2011/10/f-stop-depth-of-field.jpg

23. Badger711

Badger711 Member

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were referring to the actual f/stop, not the number lol. It's higher f/stop=more depth of field, higher number = more depth of field.

24. ajlista

No, the graph shows it, with 1.4, your depth of field is greater, your focus is on one thing, wtih f22, your depth of field is almost non existant

25. Badger711

Badger711 Member

It's...the..opposite..

with 1.4 there is a very narrow depth of field, with 22 there is a very wide depth of field. I don't get what there is not to understand. The diagram that you linked shows that.