More prominent or eye-catching care sheets

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by Cerus, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Lately I've noticed that a lot of the new members seem to overlook the great care sheet section we have here on the forums. I don't know if they just want to "hear" it directly from someone here live or don't know they are there. But a lot of the threads are some of the more basic questions like what to feed or what should my temps be etc.

While I doubt anyone including myself, minds repeating themselves, most of those threads end up being a sort of free-for-all with several members asking an entirely different question. Often times, bumping a good thread off the front page. Could there be a more prominent link for the care sheets like a direct link to the relevant information from that particular forum or even some kind of FAQ?

Didn't want to make another thread for this but I've also noticed that there aren't any care sheets or anything for mealworms, supers, butterworms etc. Just half the care sheet for silkies (part two is missing) and a couple for crickets and roaches

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I have to agree with you....The knowlwdgebase section is too hidden. A huge banner is needed :)!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Thats flash's, and has a big finger pointing to it. and.. and.. Ok, thats too over the top, but i think Cerus' suggestion is a fab idea.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

It should at least be right under Reptile Forums.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

Or maybe when you first join up it take you straight to the care sheet page, instead of the main index. Then you can read the sheets, then ask the members about specifics.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe a button right next to the New Thread button on the top of each forum. It kind of blends in way up there at the top of the page. I'm sure it would look good and be easy to link each section to the right care sheet page.

12. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I like that idea of it resembling the post reply and new topic buttons, good idea. :)

13. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

Well hopefully Axe will read this soon and think it's a good idea as well :) How bout it Axe?? :)

14. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

15. Janice

16. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

You don't think the caresheet button right below the banner isn't clear enough?

17. Just_Some_Guy

oh thanks i was getting confused

18. Cerus

Cerus Well-Known Member

It's clear enough for me since I know it's there but I think alot of new users just go straight to the forums and don't realize there's care sheets. Or maybe they don't, I just thought it would be a nice touch to have a direct link from each forum. For instance, click a button wihile in the Leo forum and it opens a new window that takes you straight to the Leo caresheets. Yes, I'm lazy and wanna save a couple of clicks LOL

19. Just_Some_Guy

thats sounds like a good idea. Or we could have a seperate forum for Caresheets

20. Zombie

Zombie Well-Known Member

I really dont think people notice the caresheets untill someone gives them the link.

21. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Re: RE: More prominent or eye-catching care sheets

The problem is not where they are located or how they are displayed, people just don't read them. Obviously not everyone, but the vast majority of folks don't want to read them, they want someone to do their research for them and just give them the info. Sounds harsh and generalized, but it's really true. A lot of times, even when they are pointed to caresheets, they clearly don't read them. This is not an unusual post/scenario: Someone asks a question, gets the answer to the question, is refered to caresheet, posts another question that WAS answered on the caresheet they never read......happens all the time. It has nothing to do with the number or quality of care sheets available, how you access them or how easy it is click on them....they just aren't going to get read as often as they should. Tons of folks do no research at all before buying a pet and then come here, if they didn't research beforehand they aren't going to do it after the fact either. Ask a question, get an answer, end of story.

22. Janice

RE: Re: RE: More prominent or eye-catching care sheets

No, I think most people are looking for them. The banner at the top blends too much. What really would be great, would to have a button on the top of each forum for species specific caresheets, particular to that forum. That would be nice to have!

23. Just_Some_Guy

Yer its good colour scheme if you are trying to hide it. I think on of the problems there aren't enough care sheets.

24. Janice

Well, there are a few new ones, that Axe just has not had time to add. I think he and the other mods are working on some, and have been for some time. A lot of info gathering is needed for a caresheet, as well as photos :).

25. Just_Some_Guy

Janice you seem to have more post than a lot of the mods. .... Maybe you should write one