Multi-species terrerium?

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Brianna, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Brianna

Brianna Embryo

I have an empty 30 ish gallon tank that i was thinking of putting some anoles in and possibly some others. I'm not new to reptiles I've had/have bearded dragons, leopard geckos, and multiple snakes. I've also had/have some amphibians like fire belly toads and salamanders. I was going to do a naturalistic habitat with fake and possible live plants many hides ect. It would be full of foliage. I was going to just get 3-4 green anoles but thought it would be interesting to add a few brown anoles and long-tailed lizards. I know males a very territorial so i was just going to look into getting females. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pros/cons to this. Any input is welcome. Even decoration ideas. Thanks in advance to everyone.
    ~Brianna

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Well, it seems you posted this about a month ago-so, sorry for a delayed response :p
    But, I have experience with a "mixed terrarium". I have had green tree frogs and green anoles together. It seemed to work fine with them, but this was also after I had had the anole for awhile and he was accustomed to the environment and everything. You also have to be sure the environment can work for all the species, so they should have similar requirements for care. And there has to be enough room for them all, I only had 3 different guys there at a time, so they had room. And I have a 20ish gallon tall I've used(with a door in the front that opens). If you were to get anoles or the long-tailed lizards, you would want height in the tank. They are arboreal animals and mostly will stay up high, so you would need branches and plants. I wouldn't suggest mixing the different kinds of anoles with the other lizards though. They may often in the pets stores, but I never like it when the do(especially with how small the tanks are). They won't always get along, but if you were to do it-you would at least want all females for a better chance of them getting along(like you mentioned). I know there have been more successful tanks like this I've read about, but one was a 100G so there was plenty of room for them all. I have a 40 breeder tank and it might be big enough for a few different kinds. I know the 30G's tend to be thinner and there isn't much height usually though.
    If I were you, I'd look up all the requirements for each animal and make sure you could meet their needs first. That's what I did. Usually it's not that hard to find information on this topic either by just searching for the right thing on the internet. There are also a few books(that are commonly sold at pet shops)that have helpful information on the subject. I have a green anole one that talks about compatible species, as well as a tree frog one and a lizard one.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

General rule, 10 gallons per each lizard. I've seen browns and greens mixed, usually works (unless there is a large male brown, in which case bye-bye green anoles - they eat smaller lizards). Long-tails work too, so do green tree frogs, and believe it or not green snakes. Other than that i can't think of anything else that works at the moment.Keep in mind the behavior of each species you plan on putting in. Mixing can be done with these guys, but like lizardgurl187 said, tank size makes a big difference.