My baby motley corn.

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by tinksie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tinksie

tinksie Embryo

Hi

I have a 12 week old baby corn snake, who i have spent the orning hunting for as he escaped ..... luckly i found him on top of my wardrobe of all places, cuddles up with my teddy bears.

We are having a slight problem in the fact that we got him from some one who couldnt look after him properly as they didnt have the experience and were given a lot of bad advice from the pet shop and now he just wants to strike all the time. if we go past the tank he coils and strikes, if we put our hands in he strikes at us and today when we had to catch him after escaping he was really aggressive.

I have been told we just have to bite the bullet and pick him up, but i am worried that if he bites me i'll be too scared to pick him up again and as it is a natural reaction to pull your hand away if he strikes, that i will hurt him and pull his teeth out.

some advice i have been given is:
    1- to wear gloves as his teeth are too small to go through them
    2- to handle him in a pillow case (im not keen on this one)
    3- to put something in his viv that smells like me to get him used to my scent
    4- that he wont hurt me biting and i wont hurt him
    5- to have confidence.....but i am wary so how can i cover the fact im nervouse.

Any help will be good help.

thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleLeopard

LittleLeopard New Member

Sounds like your corn is very young. is he on pinkies. i wouldn't worry to much at that age as its normal for them to strike at a young age. I like the gloves idea. I'd use that and handle him for at lest 15 minuets a day except after feeding and during shedding time.

First question I will as is how big is your tank?
    Size can effect snakes mood. To bigger tank the more aggressive he will be. Tanks should be at lest big enough for him to take up 1/4 of the tanks space when collied. I admit I am no expert.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tinksie

tinksie Embryo

He is very young, appox 12 weeks. He is in a small viv for baby snakes. The only thing i can think of involving the tank is that is completely glass so he can see everything around him. I am trying to handle him everyday but he darts off quite quickly. He does seem to be making progress.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. LittleLeopard

LittleLeopard New Member

The viv sounds OK. My Corns in a plasic tank but its inside his future adult tank. I'm glad hes making progress. Try putting the tank near a wall so he gets a little bit more cover as they don't being like seen see if that helps. Also if he has one hide in try putting another in if you can. I know it can be quite off putting being bitten but I think the gloves idea is a good one.

Also try buying a corn snake book. I just got one my self today and its grate. They are quite cheep on Amazon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ajlista

ajlista Well-Known Member

Im no snake expert, but dont be timid, hes little he cant do much to you
    You got gloves, put on a sweatshirt, and just grab him, not rough, just scoop him up fast, and if he strikes, dont panic and drop him, just stay calm
    You have the control, also the protection of gloves, and a sweatshirt
    Goodluck : )
    Anthony