My female Tokay has been barking, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by tokall_pythcko, May 21, 2007.

1. tokall_pythcko

tokall_pythcko Embryo

Hello, This is my first post but I have done a lot of reading in this forum, thanks everyone for so much info!

My female has started barking (one single short bark) a couple times a day. One of the first times I heard it (a couple months ago) I looked over and she did it again (and jerked her body when she barked) followed by what almost looked like a gagging motion (opening her mouth and rubbing her chin on or close to the glass she was standing on while facing downward). Since then I've only heard short barks at random times and never that same jerking/gagging thing.
    Is this normal and what does the barking mean?

Additional info: I have a male and a female (both about a year and a half old) housed in a 2x2x2 foot glass aquarium with screen lid, live plants, hanging fake plants, sticks, hiding places, water bowl (I mist 1-2 times a day), and loose coconut husk bedding. I had a fecal sample test clear for parasites a month or two ago. Basking temp 88, ambient temp 75, humidity 55-80%. They are eating well on dusted crickets, silkworms, and mealworms.

Thanks for reading!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryask

Ryask New Member

Thats normal..Tokays are the most vocal of all the geckos..they make barking sounds..for several reasons....normally when they are annoyed. It's hard to say what could have annoyed her...maybe she caught her reflection in the glass....either way it's normal to bark. Sometimes they bark when they are hungry.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. tokall_pythcko

tokall_pythcko Embryo

That'd be hilarious if she was barking at her reflection. haha. I love it!

I'm gonna try to keep track and see if it happens more right before feeding time when she's hungry. That could be the reason.

Thanks for the reply!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Seattlesprsonics

Seattlesprsonics New Member

My male tokay actually does little barks like that all the time. Pretty much exactly how you described, kind of a gagging motion. Sometimes he'll do it and move his face really quick to his back leg like he's got an itch or something.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryask

Ryask New Member

I love Tokay's..so much personality :)
    Fun to keep thats for sure

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ReptileCrazy

ReptileCrazy Well-Known Member

My tokay used to bark at my beardie before i blocked it off so he couldnt see her!

12. tokall_pythcko

tokall_pythcko Embryo

Thats interesting, I wonder if it's my ball that she's barking at. the cages are within viewing distance.
    I put the ball python's feeding tank right next to the tokay cage and they are very interested in watching her eat (tokay TV, I call it) and she doesn't seam to notice. it's pretty cute how excited they get.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm glad she is acting somewhat normally for a tokay.