My iguana sleeps during the day

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by mandee420, Jan 22, 2009.

1. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

does the spikes make a difference to there sex?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

does the spikes make a difference to there sex?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

If either of these iggys are 30inches long they are WAY too big for a 55gallon tank!

They need a bigger tank ASAP.

Bruno has given you some GREAT advice - read back over all his posts and take heed of his information...

These iggys need bigger tanks, immediately - ideally set them up in the room as you were discussing. They need high quality UVB, proper basking temp, humidity etc.

You should make the light cycle changes immediately if you havent already - leave the lights on during the day and turn them off at night.

What is the diet you are feeding these guys currently?

Baically it sounds like you dont have a good grip on Iggy care - this is a shame because iguanas are a HUGE commitment, and a challenging pet - and not one you can afford to cut corners with. You are already behind the ball on this one, so its important to act fast to correct things. Go to www.anapsid.org and download the pdf of the Iguana care guide. This guide is essentially a book, but its free. This is the best iguana info out there, hands down - it covers EVERY aspect of their care in detail and will show you how to properly set up for both of these iggys. Read this entire book/guide and follow its guidelines, you will be much better off then.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

there diet is fine i give them collard,mustard,turnup greens etc. and i give them calcium supplements. theres nothing wrong with there diet. i turned there lights off at 8 pm today. And im going to fix the room up for them. other then the tank there living in now which they still have room.there overall health is just fine and they are active to.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

there diet is fine i give them collard,mustard,turnup greens etc. and i give them calcium supplements. theres nothing wrong with there diet. i turned there lights off at 8 pm today. And im going to fix the room up for them. other then the tank there living in now which they still have room.there overall health is just fine and they are active to.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

there not in there tank all day i let them free roam the room there in and have a tall tree for them they like to go on

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

Right
    What UVB light have you got in tank, need to know exact make and type and what % uvb it is, if its a tube type it will be printed at one end of tube.

You say they are out all day, mainly in tree, right ??
    They need access to UVB during day and at the moment with the setup you have THEY ARE NOT GETTING IT
    You need to remove the uvb from tank and set it up close to tree or just above it.

The only thing you have done right so far is turning the lights out at 8pm.

I have already told you how to setup the uvb and heat during day...room temp of 72 is NOT warm enough, use the light from tank as it's doing no good in there, if they are not in it. It wont take you long to change it and move it to tree.

You say you have had them 6 months in the present setup, right.
    You also say they are healthy, believe me they are NOT even if they look it. It takes along time before any illness shows, by then it's usually too late.

As requested please state exactly what the UVB is.

Move it this weekend to tree.

13. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

The uvb when i got it on the box said iguana light.They are getting the uvb light. Before i started turning the lights off at 8 i would let them on there tree during the day and they would sleep on there tree the temp was higher then 72 i would put a ceramic heater on for them which would hit about 85 sometimes 90 and i have a warm mist humidifier i would put on for them,so it wouldnt get to dry.At night i would keep there lights on all night even the uv.So the whole time i had them they were getting uv.I kno that light is important i beeen told already.Now i started to turn the lights off at night. During the day they are in there tank with all lights i let them out for an hour now maybe a little after an hour. Until i get there lights setup.There not sick because they never went a day without there uv. They are properly fed.And the room without any heating is 72,but as I said when they are out i heat it up for them and turn there humidifier on.

14. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

i was wondering if at night i keep the room warm and turn on the humidifier can they sleep on there tree instead of there tank? since they dont need too much heat at night or any lights at night.They love there tree. When there in there tank they stare at the tree.

15. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

Im gonna start setting there room up for them im working on that now.But i dont kno how big you think they are cuz them both still have room in the tank now they can move around in there and i have climbing stuff for them.They get along well.Even when they are out of the tank they stick by eachothers side.Always together,and never seen them fight,they even sleep with each other.

16. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

as for there uvb the light says iguanas its 5500k rating and a CRI of 93 and a 5.0 uvb

17. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

So I really dont think i was doing everything wrong i just think i had there days and nights switched.I have been giving them what they need. And i been told that without that uvb they can turn yellowish and there color is healthy.Trust me when i say theyve always had there uvb. And by the way when i bought them which i got them from atlantic city board walk the people really knew very little about them cuz they didnt even let me know they needed that uvb light i did some reading that day and found out they needed it so i went straight to the pet shop and got it.

18. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

So do you think it will be ok to let them sleep on there tree tonight if i keep a ceramic infared heat emitter on all night plus a humidifier ???

19. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

Oh by the way i asked you before does there spikes make a different to there sex? I read that the male has longer spikes and the female rarely gets spikes. See ive been doing alot of reading and everytime i read everybody has different answers. I read they shouldnt have really any spiniach,kale,and brocclli then i read some siites that add those foods to there diet. some say 12 hrs or dark some say 6 to 10 hrs of dark.Every website says something different.Well i havent been feeding them any of those foods i listed i rather be safe then sorry.

20. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

i feed them collard,turnip,mustard,dandelion,watercress,and endive greens. I also give them different types of squash,sweet potato,snap peas,asparagus.
    when it comes to fruit i give them watermelon,grapes,mango,canalope,and sometimes kiwi.
    I also heard they eat white rice,pasta,kidney beans,and whole wheat bread.Do you know if that food is safe for them to eat??? Because as i said everyone has different answers and im un sure about it.

21. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

While im at work my sister keeps an eye on them for me.There not home all day unsupervised.

22. bruno

bruno Moderator

Sorry for the delay in replying.
    You are correct kale etc should not be fed, these have what they call "oxylates" which prevent calcium being absorbed.
    I've never fed the rice, bread etc so dont really know, so I would be cautious about feeding them.
    The greens diet you are using is great, I would stick with that.
    Regards the spikes, it is usual for the females to have much smaller ones, but this is no way to sex them, it's not accurate. As they get older the femoral pores on back legs will show also the two bumps just above the vent will increase if it's male.
    Did you let them sleep in tree, this should be OK if room temps dont drop and have you fitted the UVB up there as well. Although not perfect will be far better than in that small tank, it may not look small compared to their size but I can assure you it is.
    I agree there are a lot of different answers on the care of iggies and it's not easy to sort out, just you have to read them all and see what matches and go by that.
    As far as lighting time, 12 to 14 hrs in summer and down to about 10 in winter, this seems to be about the usual. I wouldn't go lower that 10 hrs of UVB a day.

23. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

I have been letting them sleep on there tree i check the temps and it doesnt drop below 73 and i keep a warm mist humiditifier on all night. I kno i have 1 male because his pores stick out.Im 99 percent sure the other one is a female. They have there differences.They also get along perfectly.Im planning to get them both fixed asap.This weekend im going to fix there room up for them. Now i need some advice on that long uvb light.I was looking at it and i cant figure out how im going to hang it. Is there something i can connect to it to hang it?

24. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    You could try an Aquatic Center (Tropical fish) or your petshop they may keep supplies of clips for the tubes, screw these onto a strip of wood, doesnt need to be thick or heavy, you should then be able to clip tube in. Then may be suspend it on chains.
    Dont know if you can get them over there but I used metal clips they use in sheds to hang tools up with, they are "U" shaped and like the others screw onto wood.

25. mandee420

mandee420 New Member

well i have it facing directly to the tree now.But i will get something to hang it with. I was also thinking of getting this other one that fits into where there basking bulb gos in i forgot the name of that bulb.I was wondering which one is better i heard they have 1 that gives heat and uvb and 1 with only uvb which 1 you think is better? and is this better then the long tube or should i have a long tube and this bulb?