my iguana story please give advice where i need it!

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by IggyMomma86, Feb 1, 2009.

1. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

OK. I'm new here and I have 2 iguanas. both were surrendered to the shelter i work at for being aggressive (which ended up meaning unhandled) and were going to be euthanised. So Ellie came home first and she was a little over 4 feet and according to the owner about 2 years old. she whipped and bit A LOT!!!! so we broke that habit over the next couple of months. Then Harlee came into the shelter. Harlee was only about 3 feet and a little over a year, and not as hateful, but was on his way.
    Right now Ellie live in 2 chinchilla cages combined and with plexiglas on three sides and the top to hold in moisture. the cage is roughly 6x3x3 which i know is not nealy big enough. Harlee resides on top of this cage. the cage is near a window and has a ficus tree next to it where harlee spends lots of time. I have UVA/UVB lighting and basking spots. they both like to explore and spend at least a couple of hours a day running around. they both eat like horses (collards, mustards, acorn squash, etc)
    Anyway, I really want to build them a new cage where they can both live with lots of space and they can have their tree (which oddly enough they have never tried to eat).
    I have had geckos and i had a savannah monitor for 8 years and recently got another one (also from the shelter), but this is my first with iguanas. i've had Ellie about 6 months and Harlee about 3. they seem to like eachother just fine.
    So, aside from needing a new cage how am i doing?
    And any ideas on a cage?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    Firstly welcome to the forum.
    I commend you for taking them both on, it's a huge commitment.
    Sounds like you have got everything pretty much right.
    You may wish to add endives, escarole and dandelion leaves to diet they are very good.
    Now for the things you wont like.
    A cage 7x4x4 is really the minimum for ONE.
    They (and I hate to say this) are tolerating each other because they dont have much choice, Iggies are solitary animals and should really be kept seperate, unless you can devote an entire room with 2 of every thing basking , UVB, sleeping area's etc. If they happen to be male/female then expect eggs, which is not good as you will appreciate working in a shelter. Should any eggs be forthcoming they should be frozen then destroyed. If they are 2 males, you must be prepared to seperate, otherwise you may find they injure each other.
    It is also coming up to the breeding season soon and an agressive male is a force to be reckoned with, they are EVIL, especially if their carer is, like yourself I assume, female, how can I put it, and your associated cycles.
    Sorry if I sound like "doom and gloom" just trying to make you aware of the possibilties, you may be lucky and get away with it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

OH! thank you!!!
    Im positve I have a male and a female! Ellie layed eggs in October (before I had Harlee) and Harlee has the plugs on his inner thighs.
    Im totally committed to these two but i'm not real sure about where to start when it comes to building a cage.......

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

It does sound like you have one of each :D
    I pressume you live in the States, if so I think the best material to use would be Oak plywood.
    I used a cage/vivarium 6ft(L) x 2ft(W) x 4ft(H), This is the absolute minimum size, when I had an iggy and as long as they get "free roam" time I found it OK. You really need two if that size. The doors could be made from plexiglass rather than normal glass, this may be easier. I used an MVB (mercury vapour ballast) 160watt lamp and that provided enough heat/UVB is the above size viv. It doesn't have to be fancy so may be a local builder or friend could help you make one. As long as they have climbing branches and they can get within 12"--20" of lamp and a warm end and cool end, those are the basic needs.
    I live in the UK so it's hard to make any suggestions but the basics above may help.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Darklightangel013

Darklightangel013 New Member

Hello and welcome to the forums.
    Two Igs will definitely be a hassle, but it is do-able. I have 2 Iguanas, one(Yoda) has a cage(although he usually free roams the parlor) and the other(Reiji) free roams my bedroom. Here's one suggestion for the cage. For the cage, I used PVC, coated mesh, and large straw mats to cover most of the sides. You can make the frame work from PVC (front, back, 2 sides, top, bottom and door) I fit the door into the front half and used plastic zip ties to hold all the pieces together. I used mats to cover mine, but Plexiglas is better. I set up shelves, a hammock, poop bucket, a big log and other necessities inside, as well as the lights on top. Hope this helps.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. IggyMomma86

IggyMomma86 Embryo

I drew up designs and we start construction on Sunday! both cages will be 7x4x4! I'm so excited!
    thanks for the advice!

12. bruno

bruno Moderator

That's great news :D,
    You must try and post pics when finished, it would help many people with ideas.