MY NEW ANOLE WILL NOT EAT!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Kittykatkayla, May 8, 2006.

1. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

:cry: I just got a new anole from the jc fair and he will not eat. I have tried crickets,store bought dried crickets,turtlefood,fish food, and flies, all he does is drink off his leaves! Please help me!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

please someone help i don't know what to do! :?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fable

Fable New Member

First how long have you had it? this is kind of hard to do without much info like size of enclosure, lioghing, etc. Post that than you can get some educated answers.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

You should read up more on reptiles before you get them. Don't buy it from the fair. It's very stressed right now. Your anole is probably adapting to its new environment if you just got it. It will take some time for it to feel comfortable in its new environment enough to eat. Please post more on your setup for the anole. Other things can make your anole go off feed such as temps, humidity, lack of hides. Here is a good care sheet: http://www.kingsnake.com/anolecare/

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

well my anoles tank has rocks on the ground,leaves,about 70 degrees lotes od big rocks to get underanything else needed to know?oh and i got him this friday night.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

the tank is like 30-40 gallons big and their is only one anole.

12. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

does that help at all cause i am about to try catching some moths for carrol cause alot of threads are saying this they will eat.Will post with some results after i put the moth in cage(if i catch one)

13. Fable

Fable New Member

Rule number 1 with any herps do not i repeat do not introduce things from outside.. Unless baked or boiled and of course you can't do that to a moth. Animals from the outside have parasites. These pesky little things are not good. The chance of getting a moth with a parasite is slim but why take the chance? I know i just totally contradicted myself but oh well :roll: and Lizard man Lane is right it takes some time for herps to get use to its surrondings. Just give it a little time but don't put it off. :)

14. lizard_man_Lane

lizard_man_Lane Well-Known Member

He needs more hides than just rocks. You should add an actual hide such as a coconut hut that you can find many places. Never feed insects from outside because they could have parasites and other bad things that could get your anole sick like Fable said. Also you should get a better substrate than leaves. I would suggest reptile carpet since it is easy. Are you using UVB? The temps should be 80ºF overall gradient, 85-92ºF basking spot, and a 75ºF cool spot.

15. Eddie_Gordo

Eddie_Gordo New Member

Anoles are arboreal so i recomend some fake plants and such as they really love to climb

16. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

ya they love to climb so i would go to a pet store like petsmart and buy lots of plants. just ask a person that works there for reptile help then ask wat u all need.

17. Fable

Fable New Member

Hey Kittykatkayla have not heard from you how is he/she doing?? Post A.S.A.P. like to know how things went.

18. pigger93

pigger93 Member

hope it works out

19. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

oh hey guys my anole has till not eaten and i got another hiding place it is like this hut thing that has little rooms and stuff,a heat lamp, and lotes more plants like ivy leaves and more so i am clueless now about wat to do with her. She will not eat anything !

20. pigger93

pigger93 Member

try not to force her just leave the crickets in there during the day
    and take them out at night
    do u have a uvb light?

21. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

well i din't have any live crickets yet

22. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

and wut is a uvb light?

23. pigger93

pigger93 Member

no wonder it isnt eating there food needs to move thats y
    and a uvb light helps them digest there food...
    you need a uvb light!!!!!

24. Kittykatkayla

Kittykatkayla Embryo

ok well thanks but the guy at petspart said they like dehidrated crickets better and what is a uvb light and is it really expensive

25. midgetmunky13

midgetmunky13 Member

well to be blunt the guy at the petstore must be a pothead. all insecovorous reptiles like live prey better. and like i said before uvb lights are the long skinny ones with a florecent like bulb(looks like florecent but dont use an actuall flourecent bulb it will be usless) there about $15