My tegu won't eat.

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by LiL_DuDe, Jan 16, 2005.

1. LiL_DuDe

LiL_DuDe New Member

hi can someone help on telling me why my tegu wont eat she is about a year old now and when i go to feed her she wont eat, i feed her pinkies and fruit, one day she just pushed her food aside and now wont eat.
    Thanks for any help
    LiL_DuDe

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

what type of tegu is it and how lonf have you had it for?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LiL_DuDe

LiL_DuDe New Member

She is a black and white argantine and i have had for about a year.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

what was her main diet consisted of?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. LiL_DuDe

LiL_DuDe New Member

Her diet is, four pinkie mice once a week and every now 'n' then some bannanas.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

instead of bannanas try mashed potatoes without salt or butter added. just bake a potato and mash it. also try some Rosy Red Minnows (feeder fish)

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

a lot of time monitors and tegus get bored with their diet and need some other type of stimulation

13. LiL_DuDe

LiL_DuDe New Member

Thanks alot! i will try that asap if it doesnt work i will some more questions if possible.
    LiL_DuDe

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

ask all the questions you have

15. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

I have a new gold tegu (purchased 2 days ago), and is not eating at all...I put a little moist dog food in the enclosure, and I saw a little bite missing from it, but thats about it, I have tried carrots, apples, and nothing...any suggestions?

16. LiL_DuDe

LiL_DuDe New Member

try some baby pinkie mice around 4-5 a week matters on how big it is if u tell me i will tell u about how many, if he/she doesnt take an intereest in that give it some bannas, if that doesnt work try giving him a mashed potatoe like KiLK said boil it then mash it and try it or maybe some feeder fish... if that doesnt work tell me i will try to help you :D
    LiL_DuDe

17. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

^ thanks for the info...I have tried to feed carrots, apples, moist dogfood, and still nothing...i take it out and even place in front of the dish, but it just looks at it and eventually goes back under the substrate....i will give your ideas a try, hope they work...also do you think it matters what time I feed my tegu? normally I put food in the enclosure before I leave to work in the morning, should I try at night or does it even matter?

oh yea, the size is not very large, I would say less than a foot...i just purchased it on monday night...

18. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I have some blue tegus and the only thing they eat is mice/rats and turkey. You can get the turkey at any convience store. Just make sure it's 96%+ fat free Generally all animals need time to settle in before they will begin feeding. They may also not eat if your sitting infront of them watching every move they make. Right now most tegus are burmating and will begin waking up come min Feb. Just relax and your tegus will be fine. Good luck with your new pets!

19. JustMe

JustMe Embryo

finally! i just got back from boiling an egg and feeding about 1/2 of it, finally my tegu decided to eat...she just jumped right on it and started eating, mostly the yolk part, at least i know what she really likes now to eat...thanks for the help everyone, i'm sure i will have to introduce different foods as well...step 1 was eating something...lol...i heard that feeding live animals, like crickets, mice, etc. will cause the tegu to be more aggressive as it grows, is this true?

20. lacerta

lacerta Member

Yeah, sounds like a variety issue. As KLiK says, they can become bored with the same ol' thang day after day. That has been my experience with my two Argentine B&W's. To get a really good feeding response, I offer a wide variety. Pinkies/mice are seldom refused. Tegus have a strong affinity for eggs. Superworms are taken as long as they aren't exposed to them day after day. They love fish, especially the live feeders or the live baitshop minnows. Mine are less than a year old so am still trying to introduce fruit. Only success I have had is to mix chopped grapes with turkey burger, put a little cat food in it for a nice aroma, add a little raw egg, some mashed potatoes, calcium supplement, vitamin supplements. I mix up a batch, flatten it out in thin sheets, place in serving size ziplock bags and store in the freezer. Seems to work as a good staple diet. I continue to feed fuzzies (mice) once a week, along with the occassional live minnows and superworms. They have also been given live snails (pesticide free) which they seem to enjoy. In four and a half months they have grown from 75 grams to over 600 grams.

21. varanus_rex

varanus_rex Embryo

may be a little more expensive but try some shelled jumbo shrimp its always been a favorite with any of mine. and if they dont eat it is good enough for u 2 eat the rest. ( the portion not offered to tegu of course) and if he does eat it is easy to freeze and thaw. good for a secondary type of food source still he might also like mice or small rats instead of all them pinkies and fuzzies. or try some med rare chuck steak cut into bite size portions