my tokay died, i need a new lizard

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by HMWH, Oct 7, 2004.

1. HMWH

HMWH New Member

So my tokay died, and i want a new lizard or maybe snake

that has similar habitat requirements as a tokay

i have 40 crickets, so i wanna do this quickly.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mythdragonlover

mythdragonlover Well-Known Member

I'm sorry :cry:

I don't know much about tokays, but leopard geckos are awesome pets! you should look into them!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Why did your Tokay die? How old was it? Is this the same Tokay you were posting about that you only just acquired on August 17th?

If the only reason you want to get anothe reptile is because you have a dollar's worth of crickets left, then you may want to think on it some more :D

40 crickets is nothing compared to the cost of adequately housing & feeding the reptiles over the long term.

Also, these aren't generally short-lived animals. Leopard Geckos can easily live 20 years or more with correct care, corn snakes can live over 30 (and they won't eat crickets). The majority of snakes that do eat crickets are extremely difficult to keep in captivity as they often refuse to feed at all in captivity.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. HMWH

HMWH New Member

i think i got him around mid august

3 things could have happened to him

--i put another gecko(that was found in my yard) and he ate that, which the wild lizard could of had a disease/parasite
    --i am in college, and my roomates throw big partys and someone could have done somethign to him(hell someone try to pick him up, and he bit him)
    --he was the smallest Tokay i had seen(when i bought him), i thought he was just young, but maybe he had a parasite then, that i didnt know about

Unfortunately he is dead, however i did get to green anoles, which should be easier to take care off

and axe i understand they are not supposed to be short term animals, i think tokays live about 10-15

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Green anoles aren't that easy to take care of either. They require LOTS of UVB, and a lot of space. Their territories are huge in the wild, and to thrive in captivity, they need the space, and heavy amounts of UVB.

Personally, if your roommate is partying regularly, I wouldn't get any animal.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JStrider

JStrider Member

could also put the aquarium in your bedroom and close and lock the door when your having parties...

12. HMWH

HMWH New Member

Roomate is moving out- so that wont be an issue. and i could put the cage in my room James,