Need a simple Uro care sheet.

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by RobertII, Jan 20, 2007.

1. RobertII

RobertII Well-Known Member

I need the basics for this care sheet.
    It will be for an adult.
    Enclosure substrate lighting UV Food Suppliments and anything else. Simple care.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. UroTamer

UroTamer Embryo

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Thank you Kenn for adding in your expertise here. The Uros are becoming a more popular pet now & more people are going to be needing help with them. :D

Tracie

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. RobertII

RE: Hello

Ok i have been threw it.
    Just one question.
    I hate sand. I house beardies and I use textured (Good Grip) Ceramic tile.
    Can i use tile or is sand a must? all i see on the 3 care sheets you gave me were all about sand.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bodom85

bodom85 Member

I have seen sand as substrate. some people used birdseed too also alot of people seem to like 50/50 sand/top soil, washed of course. I have been doing a ton of research in hopes of getting one myself. Im thinking mali or red nigeriean. What would you like to get RobertII? I agree they are growing more popular. I hope to get one in feb at a local reptile show, hopefully before then.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. RobertII

I am probably going to have to wait till august for the Daytona Show to get what I want. I have a pricy taste. I am looking at. Uromastyx macfadyeni , Ornate , or Moroccan.

I still need to know about tiles. Are they ok to use?

12. bodom85

bodom85 Member

i did read that tiles under the heat lamp are good to keep up the high heat required to bask. I was planning on using tile on the heat side and shelf liner on the other and then having a "berrow" hide with a sand/dirt mixture. i usually am not for the sand, but pretty much everyone has a hide with it and dirt mixed. i think it was suposed to 1/4" thick at more or maybe thats if you use it as substrate. Those are some nice looking uros. and yes they are a bit pricey. i love the look or ornates though. great animals. most people i talk to about them either think they are completely ugly or amazing. I love thier club of a tail.

13. RobertII

Yea I wasnt to keen on them when i first looked at them and then I saw a few pics of some babys and I fell in love. Just another lizard addiction.

14. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Tiles are fine. I personally use a tile with a sand box. This allows them to bask and dig in the sand, but keeps the sand out of the food.
    [​IMG]

Uros are great pets, they have so much personality!
    [​IMG]

15. bodom85

bodom85 Member

wow that is an awsome uro. what size tank is that?

16. aaron157

aaron157 Member

what genus uro is that, is it a mali?

17. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

yep, it is a Mali Uromastyx (U. maliensis). I think the tank is 55g..not sure exactly as I adopted Moe with the tank about a year ago.

Another great caresheet is at www.deerfernfarms.com

And keep in mind that no matter who you buy from, a fecal is always a good idea as a lot of uros on the market are WC - especially with the rarer types.

18. RobertII

Hey thanks for the pic of your enclosure! I am gona use the same idea! Thanks for everything guys!

19. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

No problem :D Let us know how it goes

20. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Wow, that is a nice looking Mali Uro. How large is it? It has a nice plump belly on it, & a beautiful tail, too. Great setup.

Tracie

21. KimbeeJ

KimbeeJ New Member

Moe is very beautiful! I can't believe that little Sinjin will someday look like that (if "he" is a male!). Very nice house, too. :( How much does Moe weigh?

22. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Moe is actually a female but she has the yellow patterning on her back making her a mock male - this happens sometimes with uros, you can get males with female patterning and vise versa. He (I often call her a him though b/c his past owner thought it was a boy and named him moe, and I don't want to give poor moe an identity complex lol) was WC and spent time with a few different families over a few years. We think he is about 5 years old now but it is hard to say really. When I finally adopted him he was just over 300g (you can see how skinny he was in that first pic). He is now close to 380g and all of that weight has been gained on a healthy veggie-only diet. He is a great eater (after lots of hard work to get him eating!). Like I said, uros are great lizards. They are a little more complicated then some other species, and they can be pretty grumpy at times (certainly hurts when they get you with that tail!) but they have so much personality. Let us know when you gets yours RobertII :lol:

23. serzlee

serzlee Embryo

i never usually use sand on any of my lizards for the simple reason of impaction but i made an exception on the uros.
    I have mine on childrens playsand as its not as encouraging for them to lick as calci-sand.I also have to big tubs in thier which is also full of playsand.
    I feed thier salad in bowls so none of this touches the sand.Mine are really happy on this and love to dig.

I love the way you have done your viv jayhay really looks good.Do you find the tiles get really hot tho with the high temps that uros require?? :)

24. serzlee

serzlee Embryo

Also does anyone on here offer livefoods at all to their uros??

25. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I do not offer any live foods. Too many experts have advised against it. Like I said in my other post, Moe gained all his weight on a diet of fresh vegies (bok choy, Curley endive radicchio, mustard greens, dandelion greens, and other vegies), and a dry mix consisting of dried green split peas, lentils and whole bee pollen granules. I know that some people offer insects as a treat, but IMO it is not natural to their diet and therefore not needed. I know they can catch bugs in captivity, but in the wild they are not confined to a 4 foot long glass cage where the cricket can not get away and therefore makes hunting easier. Studies have shown that in the wild insects make up less than 1% of their diet and most of these are probably on the plants they are eating and therefore ingested accidentally. I just don't feel it is necessary, but that is just my opinion :)

Thanks for the complements serzlee :) The tiles do not get hot at all. The basking spot is actually on the sand box. I use a 100w MVB on that side and the temps ranges between 115-123 in the sand box. The other side of the tank has no lighting and is always in the high 70s or low 80s. The mid zone is usually is the low to mid 90s and he actually spends a lot of time here. I really think that having a big enough cage to offer a mid-temp zone is important. At night I have a small UTH under the far hide on the cool side that warms up a small area to about 85 or so in case he wants some heat at night. I personally love the tile as Moe is a messy eater and throws his food everywhere. I had sand when I first got him, but he was throwing his salad on the sand and eating off there. Silly Uro! :s lol. Sand is a good option for those with "tidy" uros lol. Post some pics of your set up, I would love to see it :)