Need help with Ridge Tailed Monitors (also known as Ackies)

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by mrj, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mrj

mrj New Member

I am new to the forums so please bear with me. I am eager to buy a new pet and have loved reptiles since I can remember. I have had experience in the past with Nile Monitors. However, now I am looking into smaller monitors and the name Acanthurus or Ackie appeared. I can't seem to find the right amount of info on these guys. So, here are my questions:

1. If I selected on buying a single Yellow Ackie, which are smaller than the Reds, what is the smallest cage it can survive in when full grown?

2. Are there any good websites that have decent info on these guys? (including housing, feeding, tempertaure, etc)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. mrj

mrj New Member

Another quick question.

I have read that Ackies need the temperature to be around 120 F degrees. How do you get a tank or should I ask basking spot that hot?

Do I have 2 heat lamps shining on the same area with a hot pad under that tank?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Re: Need help with Ridge Tailed Monitors (also known as Acki

A 40 gallon is the minimum...larger is always better.

Here's one at Pro Exotics.

It's even better to get the temps closer to 130*. Mind you, this is only under the basking area. You can achieve this temp in 1 of 2 ways. You can (a) get the basking area closer to the light, or :)) get a stronger wattage bulb. A friend of mine uses a 250 watt lamp for her sav, and this gets the temps to around 150*. You could try a 150 watt, and see if that works. With the right wattage, you shouldn't need to have 2 lamps on the basking area...but come winter (depending on where you live) you may have to.

Hope this has helped,
    Rebecca

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mrj

mrj New Member

thanks for the advice

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mrj

mrj New Member

How long do Ackies live for? Also, in your opinion, should I spend the extra cash and get an ackie or settle down for a couple of leopard geckos. I love monitors to death, but is the extra money worth it?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

15+ years

That's a big difference in reptiles. Leopard geckos are less expensive, their equipment is less expensive, and they eat a lot less. Yet, they are pretty "lazy" (please, nobody hate me for that). They like to sleep, and they do move around, but nothing like an ackie. Some of the greatest rewards in keeping monitors in general are the personalities, the interaction, and the activity level of the animals. That is the "fun" that makes monitor husbandry so fantastic. Well, the Ackies deliver these rewards in spades. So, yes, I believe that for all of the extra money they are, they are completely worth it.

Rebecca

12. mrj

mrj New Member

I read Ackies love to burrow. Can Zoo Med's Repti Bark be used as substrate? If I were to have enough bark giving the tank several inches of bedding would that work?

13. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Probably not. My friend uses a soil/sand mixture, and someone here (Klik?) uses bed-a-beast. You need something that can be burrowed into, and keep the shape of the burrow. Both of the previously mentioned works well for that. I don't think that Reptibark (alone) would work...you might be able to mix it with soil...

Rebecca