New juvenile WD Owner, pics of his tank and questions!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by ganjaMan2800, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ganjaMan2800

ganjaMan2800 Embryo

Cute little guy that we have had with two much larger WD's for a little while at the store, I bought him to eventually give to my brother. Here are some pics of him, I would guess he is no more than a couple of months old, and i know that a larget tank will be needed in the future, trust me it will be provided!. He eats small crickets from my hand and ate a meal worm late last night (first night i had him home). I use cricketfood for all of my gut loading purposes and a good mix of calcium/vitamin supplement.

Well here are the pics:
    him just after his first bath![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. samuraidrgn

samuraidrgn Embryo

he looks like my new guy
    nice pic

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. scottandhisdragons-)

scottandhisdragons-) New Member

Viv looks really good, you might want to add a few plants/greenery in there to make the little fella feel more at home.
    Oh and you should definately get some plant etc to put round the sides of the viv as they are known to rub their snout against the glass and could eventually cause mouth rot.
    He/she is looking really healthy:) they look soooo cool when they are little

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pinkgecko16

pinkgecko16 New Member

you have to add way more plants! the whole viv sould be covered, and also make sure your humidity is around 80% other then that you have very nice waterdragon, looks just like mine did when i first got them.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. qk_psi08

qk_psi08 Embryo

what size is the tank

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Nice looking WD, but I think scott is right, he definately needs some more greenery...here's a pic of my set-up:

Front view:
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic of my lil man chilling on his driftwood:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps!

Good luck with him, they're great lil creatures!

~Michelle

12. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Yep I would agree... more plants (try some live ones!) also you need to cover 3 sides (you can use those backgrounds) to minimise mouth rubbing! The tank size is great... for now. One other thing is where is the UV light? They need to be able to get within 8" of a GOOD uvb light. What brand is your UV light and where is it?
    Great looking guy you got there! :p

13. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

Wow nice water dragons especially michelles. very nice color and scales. mine looks like that only after he sheds.

14. shortygirl

Thanks Feircedsm. How old is your guy? Mine took a while to calm down, but now he's even green when he comes out, rather than looking like a rather large, running poop (LOL). I just put some new, live plants in my tank for him, so I'm going to have to put up new pics for ya'll!

~Michelle

15. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

my guys about a 1.5-2 years old. hes almost full grown i think though about 18.5 inches. but he has this dark brownish colors and scars on his back. i think he got them when i was at the pet store where i got him. they didnt take care of any of there reptiles at all. some were missing ligements and were really sick so i am takin mine to another vet again. but im looking foward to ur new viv pics.

16. shortygirl

Aww, poor thing. Well, I'm sure he's much happier now with you. Once he learns that you won't hurt him & he can trust you, you'll be set. I'll post up pics as soon as I can, the tanks a little more open now, and I think he enjoys it. I'll tell you, just putting 3 little live plants in there, I haven't had any trouble keeping the humidity @ 80%! Best move I made (besides getting the lil man in the first place!)

~Michelle

17. Feircedsm

Feircedsm New Member

hmm i had plants in my viv and it gets annoying. he jumps on top of the plants and is able to jump out of the cage. and he loves to swim thats all i can say. keeping humidity is easier if u just leave a little bowl your dragon cant fit into under the uv light in the tank and humidity stays for a while.

18. Christoker

Christoker Embryo

your set is nice but you should think of getting a lid, but a mesh lid so they dont jump against it, my water dragons always leap out when im not home so when hes gets bigger, keep an eye on him...

19. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

Aww your guy looks almost exactly like mine, except that mines is a lil more fatter and diff head shape, but the colouring is the same which i don't like, I want him to be all green like Michelles(I love your "lil man" Michelle)

20. shortygirl

Thanks John! I love my lil man too! <3 He'll get there, mine took quite a while to warm up to me, but he's a happy lil bugger now, and fat too! He didn't really start to "green up" til he was with me I'd say for a good 2 months & got a lil bigger (like around 10-12 inches I think). I think it's a type of "defense mechanism" for lil ones to stay brown; in the wild it's probably a "Please don't eat me, look, I'm a stick, I promise!" type of camoflage!

~Michelle

21. John_WaterDragon

John_WaterDragon New Member

ok, I'll keep hoping :) Lovely CWD Ganjaman

22. ryka

ryka Member

What are you useing for substrate is look cool and easy to clean...

23. shortygirl

Ryka, it looks like non-adhesive shelf liner to me. Probably much more easy to clean than what I have (soil/bark misture), however it may be tough to keep up the humidity, which they need @ 80%. It's the owners preferance though, and they ARE sloppy lil critters, especially when young like that. I spend more time changing water than anything! And my guys a dirt devil, he loves to dig & just generally make a mess!

~Michelle