New Lady and a few questions..

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Cynicallia, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Cynicallia

Cynicallia Embryo

I just adopted Sheila (formerly "Dragon", and even more formerly "Lois") from a very cool couple. They loved her and took excellent care of her, but had to rehome her for their own personal reasons and I was the lucky one whose ad they answered. So, this lady dragon is big, beautiful, healthy, and friendly, about two or three years old. I noticed that one of her toes is swollen, like it's inflamed from a splinter or maybe a minor claw infection. It doesn't seem to be causing any distress, and it's not red or pink, but the skin is stretched between the scales and the digit is evenly swollen all around. Is this a common condition? None of my other beardies (or any of my lizards at all) have ever had a puffed toe like Sheila does. I didn't see a splinter, puncture, or any signs of a break so I just thought I would ask. Her previous owners kept her tank and running areas very clean and were definitely pro herpers, so I doubt it was from unsanitary conditions, which is leading me to think it was from an accidental twist or pinch. I can try to post pictures later, if my camera batteries last.. this time of year, my haus is uber active and the spirits drink all of my batteries dry.

Second question.. really tough sheds. What can be done to help? My 9+ year old male, Chub, had a semi-rough shed last summer and part of his tail never finished shedding. He's started his shed for this year, so maybe the old stuff will come off with the current patches, but I'm open to suggestions. I keep his tank warm and bedded with sphagnum which is misted every day. I also mist him, and he has a pool in his tank which he loves to soak in. Even with that, he has difficulty some times. Sheila has hard, grey patches over most of her body. I might be able to loosen her tail up since it's a little rougher than her leg patches, but I haven't finished setting her tank up yet. She's basking right now, and I mist her every so often, which she seems to be enjoying. Does anyone have any advice for making a shed happen more comfortably?

<3 Cyn

EDIT [01:45 Moonday, 23 April]:

With a long soak and a gentle massage, Sheila's tail broke free from the dead scales and she was happy about that. She got along very well with my old boy, and had a blast exploring the house and loved being hand-fed dubias. In the photo, she is the one on the left and Chub is on the right side.

Attached Files:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey there Cyn, good looking dragons and congrats on the newest addition = )

If possible, I would like to see a closer picture of the toe... I have a dragon who has had a goofy toenail for his entire life (7+ years now) and it has never caused him any problems. But just to be safe, an examination would help to ease any concern. If you are worried about a possible infection, or just want to be extra cautious, dipping the toe and nail in Betadine once or twice a day for a week or so should be adequate to clear up an infection as long as it has not penetrated deeper tissues. If she is otherwise behaving normally, feeds, basks, and shows little concern of it, it is probably nothing. But always best to err on the side of caution.

As for the shedding, it looks like you have resolved this problem on your own! I was just going to suggest baths; which most dragons tend to enjoy. We have a nice article on bathing but reptilerooms.com is temporarily down... It seems as though you've figured it out but I can gladly elaborate on bathing, etc if you wish.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Cynicallia

Cynicallia Embryo

Thanks, Jeffreh. Sorry I've been inactive, I don't have a reliable connection. Both of my dragons have pretty much eased out of their old skins, with just a few little leg bits left. Sheila still has that wonky toe (and my camera batteries did just die, a couple of hours ago, heh), but it really doesn't slow her down at all. She has no trouble leaping up and down the brickwork and rocks in my gardens, and she doesn't even flinch if I accidentally brush it. I will try to get some better pictures, but my haus is so, so very active that I'm lucky if my batteries last a week.