New rule in Photos and Photography

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by Sheila, Apr 1, 2007.

1. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

If you have a monitor eating bearded dragons on a website with a lot of bearded dragon owners, I can see why some people will be tiffeled. It's a shock value post 99% of the time. I just don't believe a huge, wide sweep of a huge, wide, very interesting subject is necessary when we already do said method with various other subjects in these forums. And you know what, if the OP has a problem with their thread being deleted, they can speak to a mod about it. I doubt the 19 different mods on the sight won't get overloaded with complaints :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

You know Curtis, I spend hours every week tending my little veggie garden in my side yard. I tend the soil, add nutrients to the soil for my veggies to eat, water the veggies, give them love and watch them grow.

It really upsets me that this site allows pics of animals eating vegetables because it reminds of my own veggies that I have spent a good portion of my life tending to and loving. But those are the site rules and I accept them for what they are.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. shrap

In all seriousness Curtis, what benefit do these pics bring to the table? Seriously, name me some benefits that feeding pics bring to the table.

I feed off over 25 live rodents a week. I honestly cant tell you the last time I seen a rodent getting eaten. It has literally been years.

Being a lover of ALL animals myself I dont like that I am killing one animal to feed another. But I understand that it is a necessity. Taking pics of it aint. I dont need to see a football sized hole in the stomach of a US soldier with 30 feet of intestines hanging out to know there is a war going on in Iraq either.

Personally I dont care about feeding pics one way or the other. But seeing as they really dont bring anything beneficial to the table and enough people are bothered by them, it is simply called showing a little common courtesy.

Oh and since you felt the need to take a sarcastic cheap shot at the mods, let me explain something to you. We are here because we want to help people. We are all here as volunteers. We dont get paid. We take what ever free time we have and donate in to the betterment of herp keepers. And I am sure I can speak for all the mods when I say that this site and helping people has eaten into more than just our free time, but our family time, personal time and job time as well. So to take a cheap shot at us like we have unlimited time in our lives to take complaints, send PMs to rule violators, delete threads, maintain the peace, etc, etc, etc, really just goes to show exactly how shallow, inconsiderate and self absorbed you are.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

I understand. I can agree with you there, but I just can't shake the fact it is a huge part of the herp world. I don't think people are necessarily proud of their feeders but I do think people are proud of their pets. Showing your pet in action is one thing most people are proud of. I am proud when my gecko eats a silkworm. I think, man, I have a pretty awesome gecko. I always figured showing your snake in action is the same thing on a bigger scale. But you have a good point, and I can agree with you on that.

Now, I didn't mean to make a sarcastic cheap shot at the mods. I just wanted to point out I'm sure the number of complaints wouldn't be too many. I don't understand why you can come off calling me shallow and inconsiderate when I simply pointed out that the number of the mods wouldn't be so much to make the amount of complaints serious. I didn't wave a giant banner and say Mods suck, fight the man, they have no lives and just sit here all day watching us. If you want to take it that way, so be it. I didn't want it to go that way and you know that I don't hate the mods of RR. We may disagree at times but I don't hate them. I'm very direct with what I want to say, and if I wanted to say that, I would've said it. But I -think- 19 mods and X amount of complaints about X amount of pictures being deleted would not be so serious as to make a whole new rule to just wipe the slate clean entirely. I know I am ASSuming a lot and I know that I could very well be wrong. If I am wrong say I am wrong, but don't call me shallow and self absorbed just because I want to discuss a rule. If I am shallow and self absorbed, call me an Eagles fan.

Edit: Gee golly gosh darned? I like it.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shrap

What is a huge part of the herp world? A snake feeding? Then I guess a snake taking a dump is a huge part of the herp world too then. I will be sure to send you pics of every snake turd I get for the next year.

Honestly man, I am very disappointed that you think simply eating is such a huge part of the herp world. You are missing out on a lot if that is what you think is huge about herps.

Curtis, your posts were nothing but attitude. You were not coming to the table to discuss a rule in a civil manner. You were basically throwing a temper tantrum. And then took what we both know was a little jab at the mods to finish things off. I know you get along with the mods on a personal level. But we both know that little jab was at the establishment here as a whole, not any single mod in particular, simply because you didnt agree with our decision on this matter.

At any rate, I gee golly gosh darn hope you feel better getting all of that off your chest.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

Nope, I am saying that with herps comes feeders, it's just an accepted thing. It's a big part of the herp world, whether you like it or not. I simply wanted to state MY opinion on the rule and have a civil conversation on the rule. I understand your view point and I am reconsidering mine. If so many people got insulted, then I can understand your banning of the pictures. But what I just don't get is why I am being called names when I have done nothing to deserve them.

And that is NOT true. I will never admit to that. If you want to take a post that included a story about putting a band aid on a caterpillar, and make it in to this huge insult, then so be it. I did NOT intend for such a light hearted opinion and discussion to turn out like this. There is not underlying meaning here, I simply wanted to talk about the rule. I now find myself agreeing with you, but I simply am surprised you can boil down my post to insults against the establishment? Little immature jabs? Are you kidding me? I am not doing ANYTHING like that. I wasn't serious in the slightest up until now. I can take being called self absorbed and immature so far, but when you think I am having a temper tantrum because I wanted to have some opinions on a rule, I just quite can't understand it. I'm sorry I asked a question about the rule and gave my opinion on said rule. If you want to make me out to be some bad guy with a monster plan and some subtle underlying points in my post, then so be it. I have NO temper tantrum up until now, and I had no reason to even expect the slightest to be treated like I am writing a big RR sucks across my post. I'm NOT doing that and I did NOT intend to insult anybody, especially the RR mods.

12. shrap

How about you go and re-read your posts from last night, and include the profanity I had to remove, and then tell me how civil of a conversation you were trying to have. Go on. Go re-read your OWN words and tell me how civil you were being.

Yes I felt you were being shallow, inconsiderate and self absorbed while you were throwing what appeared to me to be a temper tantrum. It certainly didnt come across as the civil light hearted discussion you are trying to make it out as now. Go on. Go re-read your OWN words and honestly tell me how civil and light hearted it sounds.

13. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

To each is his own. You know where I stand, I know where you stand.