New sulcata tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Heika, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Heika

Heika Moderator

Hey all,

I just bought a sulcata from www.bluebeastreptile.com. I have kept a few turtles and tortoises in the distant past, but things have changed a lot, and I have never kept a sulcata. I ordered a tortoise table as well, and will be using it at night for the tortoise. Temperatures are warm enough here for the summer that it can stay outside during the day. I have a dog kennel (my dog refuses to go into it) that I plan to convert to the tortoises' new daytime home.

The new tortoise hatched in 2007, and is about 4 inches at this point. I have read about a dozen caresheets now, but would like to hear tips from keepers. Any thoughts? The tortoise will be here midweek next week.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Well I hope you realize what you're getting into. They get HUGE and need to be kept outside which I am not sure you will be able to do in your state. But since you have been reading I am sure you're aware. I just cringe when I hear of people getting these.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Heika

Heika Moderator

Yep, have done the research and realize they get huge.

Thanks for the tip.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. keldav99

keldav99 Embryo

:) so this is your tip lol
    Do you have any?
    I have 3 and LOVE them we have them in our will even seeing they can out live us. They are not near as hard as some other reptiles to care for and they can be alot of fun to have around.
    o.p glad you got a new friend they are great!! injoy

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Heika

Heika Moderator

Thanks. :) Glad to hear you love them!

I got the little fellow, and he is doing just fantastic. It took him a few days to settle in.. right at the point where I was starting to worry, he snapped out of it and turned into a charming little tortoise cyclone, happily tearing apart his cage. He is perfect in every way, and I couldn't be happier.

I do see now why people have such a hard time just feeding them grasses and hay.. they really love their food, and they love the things they aren't supposed to eat a lot of the most!

It is very nice to have a reptile that seems to enjoy seeing me.. so used to chameleons, who would much prefer not to see me!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

*seems* is not a good word lol :)

12. Heika

Heika Moderator

Maybe I am missing something here.. why is "seems" a poor choice of words? I can't place human emotion onto the tortoise.. I realize that his response is more along the lines of conditioning to the fact that I usually have something yummy for him to eat. I have fish that swim to the top of the tank every time I approach it, too, and it may "seem" that they enjoy my company, but they are really just greedy beggars. :)

13. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

No I don't have any. I have other torts though. How big are yours?

14. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

How big do sulcatas get?

The pet store i used to go to had them by the dozens they were around 3 inches big and now have none.
    So sounds like some people didn't realize what they got into.

15. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

70-80 lbs average with some getting 150 lbs. Third largest tortoise in the world. They grow fast too. THIS is why I asked if the original poster knew what they were getting into. THey are all cute for awhile and then you got a giant on your hands that must live outdoors. Not to mention the digging they will do in your yard. I get alot of grief from people who shrug my advice off but I know quite a bit about turtles/tortoises. I looked into these and made an educated decision after researching their care and didn't get one. But you can't convince some people even with the facts.

http://www.sulcata-station.org/

16. Heika

Heika Moderator

Yes, darn the fact that you couldn't convince me not to purchase the sulcata that I researched for 6 months before buying. Darn it.

EVERY animal has its ups and downs in keeping. I knew what I was getting into when I purchased him. You can rest assured that I am an experienced reptile keeper, and I did my research before making a decision. I didn't purchase him off the counter of a pet store on impulse. I bought him from a reputible dealer who I knew, without any doubt, would ship me a healthy, perfect animal. I wanted a sulcata for a variety of reasons, and one of those was because they get so big. I am fully aware of the future housing requirements for this animal. Glad that you chose not to purchase them. That was wise, because it doesn't sound like you were prepared to make that commitment. I am.

I asked sulcata keepers for tips in this thread. It is all very well and good that you don't approve of the choice that I made. Thank you for your unsolicited opinion. Now, just to clarify, do you really have a bit to offer here beyond a website that comes up in every search engine listing with the key word 'sulcata'? You don't own any, you don't approve of them, and you won't ever purchase any because of your beliefs. You have made that clear. So, you have absolutely zero hands on experience to offer. Let me ask you, Rick, what can we really gain to learn from you, except that you don't approve of my decision to purchase one? Just to validate your feelings, your disapproval is duly noted. Now, maybe you could scoot along to something you know a thing or two about, and I might be lucky enough to find some folks who actually own these animals.

wearentfree, Tyler at Blue Beast sent me this picture of his 3 year old niece in the sulcata yard. It is also posted on his website. It will give you an idea of the adult size of these tortoises.

[​IMG]

The tortoise is doing very well, btw. He is an active, entertaining fellow.

17. Rick78

Rick78 New Member

Wow! Geez, Touchy huh? You got my posts all twisted. That's text for ya. I have no problem with someone owning one of these. HOWEVER, many people get them not realizing what they are getting into. I applaud you for doing your research. All I was trying to do was warn you. Your initial post didn't mention any research done. I have plenty of experience for your information. Just because I don't currently keep something doesn't mean I don't know anything about them. I guarantee I know mroe than you. The website I posted is the best Sulcata website out there, had you done the research you say you did you would know that. YOu have no reason to jump down my throat. Now go take a chill pill!

18. Heika

Heika Moderator

Rick, I was well aware of the only bit of good advise you gave.. the sulcata website. A person who actually keeps the animals recommended it to me months before I purchased one. Even before it was recommended, I had read through it because it comes up pretty close to the top in google searches. It is a very good site, and I highly recommend it. My point is.. the only thing you have to offer is a very well known website. Nothing else. You have no hands on knowledge about this animal because you have never owned one. You are just being a troll and an ass, and repeating information that you have picked up from other sources. You aren't contributing any of your own experience, because you have absolutely none.

Yes, I did the research, and yes, I did mention that in the very first post on this thread. Here, a quote from my original post, since you obviously didn't scroll up and reread it:

Yes, a bit touchy. Not sure how I misinterpreted this. And, you make it clear that you are not a keeper.

You don't have any. That is what you said... right?

You still don't have any. So, you really don't know what I am getting in to.

And, yet again, you still don't have any, and never have. You have absolutely zero experience with this species. Forgive me for remaining less than convinced about the "facts" that you have picked up here and there from other people who may or may not actually own the animal.

I am glad you are so self assured in your knowledge of this animal that you have never kept. If you keep calling yourself an expert in sulcatas, perhaps you will convince someone. In the meantime, as a new sulcata owner with about 2 months more experience in keeping this tort than you, I will take advise from someone else.

Now, if you would quit hijacking this thread, it may produce some information from people who actually know what they are talking about.

19. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

I think he was just trying to be helpful.. thats what we are all here for.

I keep several species of tortoise (including sulcatas) outside for most of the year in Florida. And even though i am not a "tortoise nut".. I absolutely love the ones I keep. Tortoises to me.. seem different than any other reptile I have ever been around. They are smart.. learn and have habits.

A complete joy to be around!

As for your sulcata.. natural sunlight.. as much as possible. Dont worry too much about growth.. yes they get large.. and they also live a very long time.. and like most all tortoises.. live life at their own pace (read: slow).

20. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

congrats on getting one. i wish i was able to keep them but i cant for so many reasons, room, money, and my own strength being just some of them. i hear they are amazing animals to keep though (larger herps always seem to be dont they?)

21. Heika

Heika Moderator

Yep.. it was helpful to have him tell me not to buy one after I already stated that I had just finished buying one. ;) I see your point, Kev. The guy is trying to be helpful in his own you-are-an-idiot-for-buying-one way.

This little guy has been a complete joy so far. He is mellow, begs for food every time he spots me, and is simply charming in his own tort way. I seriously doubt that I will ever own a lot of these critters, but I might pick up another one next year.

I have my tort outside in a dog kennel during the day, and bring him in to a tort table at night. It seems to work out well. I dug out a hole for him and covered it with plywood and dirt, so even on hot days, he seems to stay cool enough. I planted some graze in his pen as well. All seems good.. anything you have seen that I should be on the look out for?

22. jackrat

jackrat New Member

One thing I might mention is humidity.Although sulcatas are a desert species,it is a good idea to mist him down at least once a day until he drips.Also providing some moist spagnam moss in his hide.This is being shown to help prevent pyramiding.Google Richard Fife.You might already know about him.He has some excellant research in this area and his adult sulcatas have perfect shells.The humidity is much more important while they are young and growing fast.Good luck with your sulcata.They can truly be your friend for life.