New to leopard geckos and have some questions

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by LNK89, Oct 23, 2009.

1. LNK89

LNK89 New Member

Well I have handled them twice so far. Once last night and once today. They didnt seem to mind too much, they werent jumping off my hands or anything and they seemed pretty calm. They even ate after so it couldnt have bothered them too much. How can I get them out of their hides so I can handle them ? Or can I just lift up the hide and take them out.

I found out that one of them, I think Betty has been pooping behind one of the hides. Its right between the log hide and glass, so not in the easiest spot to clean.

I have gotten Veronica to finally come out of her hide to hunt. She doesnt seem to like the kingworms at all. She will poke them but thats it. She does seem to love the mealworms though. On average how much should they each eat ? With normal sized mealworms and kingworms ? I kind of think that they arent eating until they are full. They seem to walk around and hunt then go back to the hide, but if I put a mealworm in front of the hide they will poke their head out and eat it. Betty has eaten 2-3kingworms the last 2 days, is that about the right amount for them ? Veronica ate 1kingworms and 17 mealworms thurday night and 35mealworms tonight.

I havent had any luck with a scale. I'm noticing alot of shells and stuff in the kingworm and mealworm bran, should I just pick them out or sift them out ? Or would I have to change the bran completely ?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i try not to lift hides unless i need to get them out for health checks or tank cleanings. if mine are in their hides when i want them out i try to bribe them with some food.

also you can try to get her to poop in another location. i havent tried it but some people suggest you move the poop where you want the new poop spot to be.

just keep feeding until they are full. 3 kingworms every 2 days sounds decent considering they are probably going into winter slowdown, its about what 2 of my adults eat around this time of the year.

mark macy likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. mark macy

mark macy New Member

would it be healthy to feed a leo.gecko grass hoppers ? any feedback would be helpfull,am new to page an think its pretty cool an helpful,just reading other posts an enjoying.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hello, and welcome to the boards!

Are you talking about wild caught grasshoppers? If so, it mainly depends on your location. If you live anywhere near an area where pesticides or herbicides might be sprayed, such as in the suburbs, city, or near a farm, then you should definitely avoid feeding wild bugs of any kind to your leo. If you have an area safe from these things, then that is a little better. However, keep in mind that wild insects and worms may often bring unwanted parasites along with them (mites, internal parasites, etc.). And while grasshoppers are fine, there are also some wild caught insects that can be fatal if ingested by your reptile, such as fireflies and wild hornworms.

JEFFREH covers the warnings a little bit better in this post over here if you are interested.

mark macy likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. mark macy

mark macy New Member

thank you cammy,im glad i found this site,hopefully talk to ya in the near future,an thanks again on the input

Cammy likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Any time, and we're glad to have you! =D