New to snakes.. whats the *smallest* one I can get?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Rockbttm88, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Rockbttm88

Rockbttm88 New Member

Hey guys. I was in Petco yesterday (ugh... I know) and I was looking at the reptiles. They had these adorable tiny little corn snakes. They were the size of twigs. I wanted one as soon as I saw them. But then I came home and did a little googling, and found out that they can get pretty big.

I'm actually a little intimidated by snakes and I want to get one that will stay tiny like that for it's whole life. I found one online called "Green Snake" that looks very small (can wrap around one finger).

I currently have a leopard gecko housed in a 10gallon tank, but when she gets a little bigger I'm gonna upgrade her to a 20gallon long... and I want a small snake for the 10gallon.

So I'm just wondering..

-- Is the Green Snake the smallest pet snake breed?

-- Are they friendly? Will they ever bite?

-- How easy are they to care for and handle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. improvius

improvius New Member

Maybe you should try a male Kenyan sand boa. It would probably be a lot easier to take care of than a green snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. wormiebj

wormiebj New Member

yea i would have to agree even though the green snake will most likly stay a little smalleed they are harder to care for

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Enzer

Enzer Embryo

Could look into Hognoses. They only grow 2ft~ long and can live in a 10 gallon, they also look kinda like vipers, so you'd have a cool snake :). You'd want to make sure its eating f/t mice before you buy it though, some can be picky, but once their on f/t it should take them regularly.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

I have also heard that the rough greens are notoriously hard to keep. They also eat crickets and stuff, what fun is that? I would bet that once you had a corn snake and became accustomed to handling him, your intimidation would be long gone before it got full size. Just something to think about.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bluebassplayer

bluebassplayer New Member

i thought corns got pretty big to but i went to a local pet store and saw an adult and wasnt bothered by how "large" it was...just because well it didnt really even seem that large

12. Rockbttm88

Rockbttm88 New Member

I just cant keep a big snake in my house. Even if I get over my fear, my girlfriend is TERRIFIED of snakes and only liked the baby corns we saw because they were so tiny and cute. Thats the only kind of snake I really want... a tiny cute one that could be held in your hand. And I especially want one that eats crickets. I already have a leopard gecko, so it would be easier to just fill up my cricket feeder more often than to also keep baby mice around.

But it seems that my only option (rough green snake) is a little nutjob. I dont think I'd want one if he was trying to bite me all the time. I know its hard to keep them... but has anyone here had any success with them?

13. improvius

improvius New Member

Why aren't you considering a Kenyan or hognose?

14. drpainphd

drpainphd Member

would she be scared of an adult corn even after watching it grow from a tiny hatchling? maybe her motherly instincts will kick in. haha.

15. Rockbttm88

Rockbttm88 New Member

I'd consider anything. I've just never seen either of those in any pet store around here. I dont know anything about them either. Do they stay tiny?

16. improvius

improvius New Member

Yes, both of those will stay around 2' or smaller and will be easier to care for (and handle) than a green snake. Make sure you get a male, the females can get bigger.

17. travis

travis New Member

The only problem is i think they got a nasty tail

18. Rockbttm88

Rockbttm88 New Member

The kenyan old sounds cool, but I dont want to feed it mice.

Is the green snake the only snake that eats crickets?

19. Enzer

Enzer Embryo

Try looking into Garter snakes then, I THINK they eat crickets, was a long time ago I looked at them, a very long time ago. I know they will also eat fish and pinkie mice. And they do stay small.

I know you want a snake that eats crickets, but mice are very easy to keep, you just buy them, put them in your freezer and take them out when you want to feed the snake. You would only need to do that once a week or so, rather than a cricket eating snake needing daily feedings. You also open up you options to all the snakes available rather than just the selected few that didnt quite evolve completely from the lizards ;)

**Edit** http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-39448.html

According to that thread they do not eat crickets, but eat worms and things, but it is up to you to research them and look at caresheets, not mine. Good Luck!1