New Tokay Pics

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by Raziel, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Raziel

Raziel Member

Heres my new (and currently unamed) Tokays current set up I might go bigger later on. In his set up I know I dont have enough foliage right now but i will shortly. His substrate is eco-earth by zoo med but Im not sure if its holding in enough humidity should i put in an extra humid hide? If so what should I fill with? He has a bowl of water and a bowl of super worms (4 to start off) And i put in 7 dusted crickets ive seen him eat 1 and theres only 3 left so I think hes eating hes currently under a infra-red heat lamp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know hes skinny now just got him yesterday I will make it my duty to fatten him right up asap.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. camo_pants

camo_pants New Member

looks good !!! all I can suggest is more plants. I wouldn't add a humid hide just keep the humidity between 60 & 80%

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Raziel

Raziel Member

Well i think i need a hydro meter cause i cant tell if its humid or not i sparayed alot before it seems like it didnt last and the terrain was made in water n is soaked and damp, any suggestions on keeping up the humidity?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dakman

dakman New Member

Mist once or twice a day and you should be fine unless you live in a very arid climate. If you have a 100% screen top you can use a small dish towel or simular and cover half to 2/3 the top to help hold in some humidity and also allowing plenty of venting.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Raziel

Raziel Member

Well my hydrometer says humiditys around 70-90. But its a cheap exo-terra one that goes on the floor so im not sure how accurate it is. Also the crickets go and hide ontop of the exo-terra styrofoam rock-lookin background where the tokay cant get them so i may consider taking it out, what do you all think? Also heres another pic of him, how old do you figurehe is?

[​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. PitsNherps

PitsNherps Well-Known Member

Hes very cute I dont know alot about Tokays so I couldn't tell yeah How old he is but I would just mist his cage 2 or 3 times a day to keep the humidity up and they like to drink off leafs ;)

12. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

You may want to go for one of the digital humidity readers. They're a lot more accurate. If you don't have a digital thermometer, i'd recommend one of those too, you could even get one which reads the humidity too.

Cute tokay!

13. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

I agree as they are the most accurate out there. I think walmart has them for ten or eleven dollars

14. stingray

stingray New Member

Re: RE: New Tokay Pics

I have the 18 x 18 x 24 exo-terrarium to house a pair of my tokays. My crickets get on the top to and hide. I was going to block that space up there from the crickets to hide but I did not. Believe me the crickets come down at night and roam around looking for food. :wink:

Pic of one of my setups. Lots of cork bark to hide behind. I like to add before the comments are made about the white bulb that my red heat bulb burnt out and I replaced it with a white bulb till I bought some more red bulbs. 8)
    [​IMG]

Pic of a cricket hiding out on top close to the male tokay.... :shock:
    [​IMG]

15. Raziel

Raziel Member

RE: Re: RE: New Tokay Pics

stingray thats a beautiful enclosure, and yes those crickets finaly did come down :)! I like the cork bark in your tank alot i might pick myself up some. And your tokay looks amazing, I really like his colour! Im assuming you know how to sex them? The owners of the pet shop said mine was a male of around 6 months to a year, Any one have different opinions? Because if he is a male and sexing is looking for the bulges and pores i dont really see anything evident on "his" underside?

16. dakman

dakman New Member

RE: Re: RE: New Tokay Pics

going by your pics 6-10 months, possibly one year would be a good call. Male Tokays do not have bulges as other male geckos. The best way to sex is by their V-Line of preanal pores which are way more noticeable than on a female. To someone not very familar with Tokays sexing them younger than 9-10 months can be difficult. Males excrete a waxy substance out of their pores that usually looks shiny and yellowish colored at least to me in my experience. I took the following pics at pretty close range but by the eye the males pores stand way out while the females are hard to se and appear smooth. hope they help.

Male Tokay
    [​IMG]

Female Tokay
    [​IMG]

17. stingray

stingray New Member

Thanks, I am glad you like the setup. Cork bark looks great and the tokays love hiding behind them. I get alot of my big pieces of cork bark off ebay.

I dont claim to be an expert at sexing them, but I have seen quite a few of them. I use a 25X or 10X jewelers loupe to look at the real young ones pre-anal pores.

My opinion.....I would say he is a year old. I have no idea about sex without seeing a close up of the pores.

Here is another one of my setups for young tokays. It is a 29 gallon high tank. Opinions will vary on talk forums about setups and substrates. What works for one does not always work for another.

As you can tell I love to use cork bark....... :)
    [​IMG]

18. Raziel

Raziel Member

Thanks Dakman and stingray for the pics and opinions, But I really really cant tell, If I had to guess by dakmans pics Id say Hes a She, because i dont see the black dots at the tail area i do however see the v shaped line perfectly. Anyways Ive added slight more foliage to the tank heres two new pics:

[​IMG]

It maybe hard to see but i added two huge (for fake plants) to the corner the surround a turned over barrel with and etrance so he can hide in and be pretty much completely hidden.Also added a vine/branch for climbing

heres a newer update ( I keep having to take pics of this lil guy)

[​IMG]

19. stingray

stingray New Member

Your setup really looks nice! :wink:

Just my opinion....dont over do it on all the folage sticking to the glass. To me it limits there space to crawl around on the glass. I added more foliage to my setups and they would not use the glass space that I added it to. After a week I took the extra out and that night they were all over the open glass. I would just dress around there hiding hangout and leave it at that. Each is own........ :D

20. LeapinLeo

LeapinLeo New Member

I like the tank :D

21. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

I am getting an adult pair of tokays and really cant wait seeing your little guy has made me more excited
    ;D

22. tokay_gecko_king

tokay_gecko_king New Member

wow stingray LegendKiller your geckos are cool!
    and i no how my tokay geckos a boy and girl

23. tokay_gecko_king

tokay_gecko_king New Member

wow stingray LegendKiller your geckos are cool!
    and i no how my tokay geckos a boy and girl

24. stingray

stingray New Member

Thanks, glad you like him! :)