Newbie to Reptiles

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by HelicopterPilot, Aug 4, 2005.

1. rabernet

rabernet Embryo

Forgive me if I don't do this quote thing right, quoting within quotes:

Thank you. My only regret is that I did not find Adam sooner and that even with all the stellar recommendations from Fauna BOI regarding Scales as a good guy I received an animal that had internal parasites. I'm happy to say that the silver lining is that I found a WONDERFUL herp vet, who owns his own snakes and that Kashmire is now thriving.

I adore this little guy, and if Scales had offered to take him back (after I informed them of his parasites) I would have had to say no. If anything, Kashmire is teaching me patience (although you probably couldn't tell that from my first few posts! LOL).

Robin

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Yeah BP's are just awesome. The reason your snake has parasites is because it's captive hatched which, in case you didn't know, is not the same as captive bred. Most captive hatched BP's have parasites just like their wild parents probably have. Captive hatched means they took the eggs or the gravid mother from the wild and hatched the eggs in captivity. Really there is nothing different from our perspective between WC and captive hatched. Captive bred is what you want if you're looking to get a snake without parasites or feeding problems but captive hatched is what you chose. That's nothing against the seller as they disclosed that it was captive hatched and with captive hatched you've got to expect parasite problems.

You're not kiddin' about the patience thing. I'd say that's one of the biggest thing you've got to have when dealing with reptiles is patience. Everything except their sometimes lightning fast reflexes is slow from healing to digesting their food. Have fun with Kashmire, looks like he's gonna have a good life! :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. HelicopterPilot

HelicopterPilot New Member

wideglide don't worry about staying on topic. the live vs f/t thing is always worth a discussion and from what I see as long as your experienced with your BP you could feed live with lots care ,but I rather not. I say whatever tickles your fancy. Plus having the live vs f/t can always help another newb out that is looking for info as long as he doesnt' misinterpret.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jammer

jammer Member

Just to change the subject. I think the other subject has been pretty well covered. I wouldn't keep the whole enclosure humid. Keep in mind that Ball Pythons originate in Africa and live in arid grasslands (not alot of humidity there) The reason for any extra humidity is that the snake spends its days down in a damp burrow or den. That's why I prefer a humid hide and leave the rest of the enclosure at room humidity. If you keep the whole cage moist, you can cause respratory infections etc. The humidity should be set up the same as the temps. Let the snake choose if he wants humid or dry, warm or cool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

True but don't forget when the temperature drops at night the humidity rises as well.

As long as you keep the enclosure humidity under 60% I don't think there's much of a chance for any bacteria problems. I think it's when you exceed 60% and keep it there that you can run into some issues.

Really I think this is just preference as well to an extent. I would not let the humidity in the enclosure drop below 40% regardless, though. I think it would be detremental if the snake had to choose only one area where the humidity was adequate. I mean what if that area was not at the temperature the snake wanted to be at? He'd then have to choose one or the other.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

All of my Ball enclosures are kept between 50 and 60 percent humidity and I have never had a bacteria problem and 99% of the time the sheds are perfect.

12. HelicopterPilot

second email she won't reply. I also asked her for her reason and she said no. Man I think I just backpedled about 2miles. Her reason is because I am a parent and I say no. NO more snake related "crap". I have to hide while typing this

13. funcount

funcount New Member

Well, at one point, I was the same way as your Mom. Now, as you can see, I have changed my thinking and have a BP of my own and have allowed my son to get 2 corns and a BP. If you can get her to talk to someone who once had the same view as hers, I would be willing to talk with her.

14. jammer

jammer Member

wideglide, True. Maybe a humid hide at each end. I don't really belong in the bp forums anyway. I only did research about what their needs are. Thanks

15. wideglide

You don't need to feel that way about any of the forums here. You have just as much right to be here as I do so don't worry about that.

16. HelicopterPilot

Here is what mom said-First I have been around snakes. I don't care about society and the fear brought about by ignorance of snakes. As any living thing, I respect them but I don't have to have them under the same roof as where I live. ( my space and my own environment ) As any other living thing, it needs it's own space and environment. Living things fight for it , some gets displaced , some becomes extinct. Survival in the modern world / jungle!!

Dad just said that we will not discuss them any futher , Maybe in teh future

-Future. I can't wait that long. One of the breeders I found (will not say) has produced some high yellow/gold normal baby males and is willing to sell them to me for a regular price. I can't wait so long till all of them are gone!

Hmm she said under my roof. I have a really neat shed out in my backyard . I could always go there. Only prob is there is no A.C. and it might get hot. I don't no how hot. Here in Tracy C.A. at extreme heat we get to 100's. Hmm I also have a fan.

Any ideas ? should I hit them with the shed idea?

17. wideglide

I'd just let it go for now. Your mom's statement was pretty clear on how she feels about it. Plus, while I don't feel the way she does, I think her explanation is pretty reasonable.

With regards to you passing up a good deal I can promise you that is something you do not need to worry about. There will be plenty more opportunities when you are at the point that you actually can get a snake. You're not passing up a once in a lifetime deal by any means.

I know you want one now and I wish you could get one but if there's one thing you must have when caring for reptiles it's patience. You'll get your snake some day, you may just have to wait a few years before you do.

Don't even consider the shack as an option unless it's environmentally controlled, which it's not.

I'd hit them up about every 6 months from now on. Use your birthday, Christmas, etc. to always put a bug in their ear. I wouldn't push it or beg or anything like that I'd just mention it to them. Let them think about it long term and maybe they'll come around. Continue to research their care, buy a couple posters if you can find them and put them up on your walls. Ask for a BP book for Christmas. If you want this snake bad enough you'll enjoy all of that stuff anyway. Good luck!!!!! I'm rootin' for ya'! :p

18. HelicopterPilot

I have already been borrowing a ton of books from the library.

The shed, hmm well I actually don't want to comprimise that much . I guess I will wait alittle.

Oh BTW I went with my dad to PetCo to handle my first snake. It was a small baby BP ,but it was still cool. Also it didn't want to move , as if scared. It still was pretty cool

19. wolverine0001

wolverine0001 New Member

check around for someone looking to get rid of their snake i.e trader papers or the newspaper. got my ball,70gal tank water dish stand and all for $40.00. I feel its better to help a snake that isnt wanted by its owner before they ditch it into the wild. also check the local human shelter for adopties. good luck.

20. HelicopterPilot

I have checked the papers. Also I have gotten a big tank. (I dunno like 40-50g) . ONly problem is that we had to take the turtles aswell. I swear those turtles are more aggressive than a ball python. I got bitten like five times

Also is it okay to use an infa red temp gauge. I have one for my engines

21. wideglide

Yes, IR temp guns are awesome! Looks like you're making progress! :D

22. HelicopterPilot

Hmm I still want to get one of those In/Out/Hygro thermometers. Becuase I can't find any Just hygrometers. Its all thermometer and Hygrometer . If I find a Hygrometer by itself its a dial one.

23. wideglide

The reason for this is because in order to calculate the relative humidity it involves a formula using the temperature. This is one reason the dial type hygrometers shouldn't be used.