Nile, Asian Water, or Corcodile Monitor?

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by BeardieFiend, May 16, 2005.

1. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

Im wanting to get either an Asain Water, Crocodile, or Nile Monitor in the recent future.
    My Friend has a full grown savanna and i wanted a monitor but not the same one as him.

ive helped raise his sav. monitor since hatching and i know a great deal about monitors(especially sav. duh) but i never had the space. I just moved and have converted a room for my other lizards and i have ample amount of space for a larger lizard and i want a monitor.

if anybody could help me decide and knows where i can get them because i dont trust pet store or buying them online.

thx

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. nomad85

nomad85 Member

check out www.proexotics.com , if i were to buy a monitor I would buy it from them. One of the best large pet monitors is the blackthroat monitor. I woulndnt get a nile, they really dont belong in captivity. Water Monitors get just as big as teh niles, but tame down very easily and some are captive bred. good luck.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nomad85

nomad85 Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Fiend4Lizards

Fiend4Lizards New Member

I think you should go with the blackthroat or the savanna monitor
    they make for great pets. Good luck with what ever u decide.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

thanx fiend4lizards and nomad

hey fiend4lizards have we met?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryzard

ryzard New Member

I would definetly go with a sav, but since you say you would like to try something different, I agree and would go with a blackthroat. If you're looking for tame, I would really look into a tegu, they get as big as the monitors and most are dog-tame.

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

none of those choices are very good. niles - very aggressive asian water - 10ft or bigger croc monitor - 13ft or bigger. monitors to consider would be savs, ackies, timors, storrs, blackthroats, whitethroats, roughnecks and peachthroats. those are all excellent monitors for a somewhat experienced monitor keeper.

13. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

thx

does ne1 know where i could get a blackthroat?

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

15. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

thnx that might work but i don treally trust web sites imma look around thanx

16. nomad85

nomad85 Member

you can trust them.

17. nomad85

nomad85 Member

I would avoid pet stores.. and Ive seen a few at my local herp show but they looked terrible. your best bet is to get one from a good breeder/dealer online.

18. mickeydee1984

mickeydee1984 Embryo

www.regalreptiles.com for the blackthroat, or any others for that matter....croc monitors are not so friendly

19. nomad85

nomad85 Member

ive heard they are pretty tame actually, but then it does depend on the animal and how it was raised. but they arent inheritly mean like niles.

20. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

most crocs will not mellow out, but then again then do not do well in captivity and little research has been done on them. they can definatly do more damage then a nile can. unlike niles, croc monitor teeth are both curved back and serrated

21. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

im probly going to get an ionid but ive been looking into water cuz i have enough space.

22. nomad85

nomad85 Member

did you read the pages on them at proexotics website, its alot of good info.

23. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

ok,?

you have not even owned a monitor, but witnessed a friend of yours raise a savannah monitor? How does that make you qualified to own some of the giants???? That is like sending an elementry school graduate to run a fortune 500 company. In other words its very very irresponsible to think you know that much from one of your friends owning a monitor. The only reason i would even recommend a sav is for the fact that they are so cheap and easily replacable for the numerous times you WILL screw up. Niles get 6-7ft on average, and most of them are pretty defensive and can do some serious damage, not too mention they would require minimally a 10x5x5 cage as an adult with a large water basin and filtration system.
    Water monitors require larger enclosures and can reach on avearage between 5-8ft, as they rarely grow larger. they can be more acustom to handling but still not a good "beginner" pet, and dont fool yourself, that is what you are.
    Croc monitors are highly expensive, highly unpredictable, considerably smarter than you apparently, and range between 5-9ft size once again on average. they also require tons of special attention to diet, climate and caging as they cant tolerate cool temps at all, so try heating a 12x6x8 cage to 85 degrees year round with a 140+ basking spot.
    I will agree with klik that peachies savs storri and all are good for med level keepers, but that does not include you sorry to say.
    stick to savs, perhaps an ackie, when you can successfully keep these animals and have a better understanding of what is needed for monitors then try again for something more advanced.
    All monitors are cheap in comparison to what it cost for caging, heating and feeding them, you must take that into consideration when thinking about purchasing a large monitor.
    IF you dont likek my post, sorry too bad, but seriously think about what you are talking about here. And dont send me any PM's either, you have something to say? put it here for everyone to read.
    thanks
    scottM

24. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

WOW dude I agree with your point. But whats up with the anger. he wsn't arguing or anything and he was taking everyone's suggestion into consideration. Whats your deal!

Back to the topic at hand. I would really start with something smaller, like and ackie or sav. You should look into tegu's they are very interesting animals to have around. How much room do you actually have? You would be suprised how much space a 4x8 tank takes up. It doesnt sound that big until you try to build it. Its HUGE.

25. BeardieFiend

BeardieFiend New Member

like i said before i helped raise i didnt witness i helped. ive raised that sav. more than my friend had because he has alot of other lizards. and dont tell me what i can and cant take care of. i could say that to you but im not going to cuz i dont kno u. and i should pm you cuz i think i would get banned for the things i wanna tell you. so please if you would answer my question and not try to justify if i can handle it. thanx

and if you dont liek my post IM message me and ill clear it up.