NO MORE CRICKETS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by CLARK, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ThePHX

ThePHX Member

just look at their latin name, but dont worry i was told at petco that bearded dragons an grow up to 4-5 ft....i just looked at the guy and said "ohhh really?"

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ThePHX

ThePHX Member

but, with the supers you can get the bedding from cricketfood.com and its gutloads the supers correctly so you animal can get the proper nutrition...its easy, just give like 50 supers 1lb of the gutload and they will disapear under it

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Golgo13

Golgo13 New Member

My Veiled loves hornworms.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

Re: RE: NO MORE CRICKETS!!!!!

I swear, i've read this in books, on the internet, and other places to; you are not supposed to feed your reptile wild caught bugs. Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't wild caught bugs have like a 75% chance of having parasites? Feed superworms and even hornworms i have heard work. But never feed brightly colored insects or anything you are unsure of.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. severenecrovomit

severenecrovomit New Member

Re: RE: NO MORE CRICKETS!!!!!

I've heard this too. It seems more like common sense than anything. You don't know what these insects have been eating. They could have been ingesting large amounts of pesticides and other bad things that you don't want your cham to be eating.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Heika

Heika Moderator

RE: Re: RE: NO MORE CRICKETS!!!!!

I feed some wild caught bugs. Wild moths are excellent feeders. Although no one wants to think so, even bugs that are reared in captivity can have parasites. I do avoid bugs like house flies and wild cockroaches, though. Cockroaches are highly resistant to pesticides, and can carry a high load of poison without dying. Flies are simply nasty and carry all sorts of bacterias and grossness.

12. Vanillanesquik

Vanillanesquik New Member

Wild moths... so if i go outside at night by the light i can feed him those moths?

13. Heika

Heika Moderator

I do. I use a bug napper.. it is made by Zoo Med. The cool thing about moths is that the vast majority don't even feed after they become moths. There is a very low chance they will have a parasite. They are nutritious, and chameleons love them. Watch out for brightly colored ones, as they usually taste nasty to the chameleons. Also make sure that you don't collect moths in an area that is regularly sprayed with pesticides. I live out of town and don't have a lot of close neighbors, so no worries for me. I also feed wild aphids to neonates and a few other tasty morsels that are easy to catch, like the occasional grasshopper or praying mantis. I don't feed caterpillars, roaches, house flies, or cockroaches, but I have fed spiders that I have identified as a harmless species. I keep a species of leaf chameleon from Madagascar that seems to really like them.

14. koreyd

koreyd Embryo

scuba steve hate crickets, and will not touch him. ususally i just switch it up with whatever bugs the store i go to has at the time. his usuall staple is superworms just because he loves them so much. also he crunches them up so bad before swalowing them i think there is no danger of them eating through his stomach. he also loves wax worms, butter worms, and even the odd pinky mouse. he has also eaten caterpillars, house flies, and may flies(there is a rediculous amount of those here in the summer). he has refused to eat crickets for about 2 years.