nose rubbing

Discussion in 'Other Pythons' started by jeepnphreak, May 19, 2007.

1. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

Well my first real problem in 17 years.
    our new burm is rubbng his nose and its starting to get a bit raw looking.

ok first a bit on the setup

-I have 1 hide on both sides of his tank, which he never uses he just lays under the fake plants...
    -the burm is 6 feet long and in a 90 galln tank. aprox 4 feet long x 1.5 feet wide and 2 feet tall.
    -he has one large branch that spans the tank and reaches the top.
    - temperatures are 95 warm 75 cool
    - humidity is 50%
    -he has a water bowl plenty large enough to soaak in.
    -substrate is fir bark
    -every heat source is on a thermostat and it self regulating.
    -he eats one XX large rats and what ever the other snake do not eat every other week, so it usally averages out to be 1 xx large and two medium rats.(ahh thank you ball pyhtons) he likes every other week, once a week and he not hungry yet I tried.

ok now down to my question, how can I get my burm to quit or at least stop hurting his nose. I have never delbt with a true nose rubber before and its driving me crazy I have run out of ideas on what to try. so any thughts/suggestions would be great.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. ithica

ithica Embryo

That sounds like a decent size tank for its length but you need to take gerth into consideration as well plus all the items you have are beneficial to it as well but they do use allot of space. I think over all it may be a bit to small for it. Thats my opinion of course. You know snakes love to explore and if there isn't enough room to do so then they look elsewhere. I wish you the best with your herp.

Dave

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sb1127

sb1127 New Member

Constant nose rubbing is a sign of stress. I would move him to another enclosure asap. If your burm is 6ft, then he should be in an enclosure that alows him to stretch out to his full length. Maybe you could build a larger cage that will alow him to grow and not feel too restricted. My bull snake did the same thing. When I first got him, all I had to put him in was a 40 gallon, while I waited for my 6ft boaphile cage to be delivered. The rubbing stoped when I got the new cage. In the meantime, some neosporin on his nose will help keep it from getting infected.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mkbailey755

mkbailey755 New Member

hmm 95 is a little hot, do you have a temp gun or are you using a thermometer? try decreasing the temp to like 85 and see if he stops rubbing. your tank is fine for a small burm. my 7 footers are in a cage bigger than that and use only 40% of it. as long as they coil up and are not squished against the sides you should be fine. buy some betadine until you find what it is. if lowering your temp doesn't work let him out and watch were he goes he will find a place he feels comfortable and try to mimic the conditions in his cage ;) (dark cool space, or more open space he will show you what he wants) and don't use hydrogen peroxide on the mouth it will fizz and bubble and cause him more stress. you could easily spike his water with betadine a cap full will do the trick. just play around with different stuff. I even seen some that just do it because they want to be handled