nothing to do with lizards

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by danlbridgh20, Oct 30, 2005.

1. danlbridgh20

danlbridgh20 New Member

Ok i got some baby bluegill today for my 10 gallon how can i take care of them.I hope someone here knows about fish.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bratspets

bratspets Member

Bluegills are pretty easy keepers...they are very aggressive to other fish, eat absolutely everything, and grow quickly (so will grow out of the ten gallon tank quickly). Did you catch them in a nearby pond? How many?They sure are tasty fried.

Here's a quote from a google search on bluegill:
    "The bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus), a social, schooling species popular with anglers, is endemic to the freshwater lakes, ponds, and rivers of North America. The fish are particularly prolific in lakes with relatively shallow, warm water and plenty of weedy vegetation. Males, which are about 25 percent larger than females, range from eight inches long in southern Canada to fourteen inches in the southern United States. Young bluegills eat mainly zooplankton, but as they grow older, they become opportunistic and devour almost anything that fits into their mouths."

What equipment do you have besides the tank itself? Filtration, air stone and tubing, lights, gravel, heater, thermometer?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

just cook em up

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Mmmmmm....fried bluegills....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MAtt!123

MAtt!123 Member

Dont fry them up! i would never live with myself if i purposly killed a living creature(except for bugs yuck!)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Really? So you're a vegetarian and never wear leather?
    But when you really think about it, killing a bug is no different from killing a larger animal. Just a size difference.

12. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

no i believe there is a difference thats like saying killing a mouse is like killing any other animal which includes humans!!

13. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

It was mostly sarcasm.
    I'm really interested in whether or not Matt is a vegetarian and shuns leather and other animal products. It's a pet peave of mine and has been for maybe 10 years now.

14. Orangemen08

Orangemen08 Member

lol what being a vegetarian? me too i hate vegetables

15. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Lol. No, people that say killing animals for food is wrong, but then go and wear leather and use other animall products that involve killing animlas. What do they think happens to the rest of the cow after they pull off its skin for a coat?

16. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

Not to kill the momentum of the thread but last I heard it was against the law to keep fish you caught. You can catch and realease, in the same or different pond/lake or eat them. I might be wrong on the area you are in, but here in IL it is really illegal. I would check into it if I was you. good luck, later

17. mxracer4life_41

mxracer4life_41 Member

The only kind of fish that you might be able to get away with keeping are minnows/shad.

18. bleedthefreak

bleedthefreak Member

I agree. I stopped eating meat a while ago, and that also meant giving my leather and suede, even my doc martens...heh. I'm against the killing of animals, but even more so the deplorable conditions of factory farming.
    But yeah, I see people who don't eat meat yet wear leather coats and shoes all the time. Irritating!

-Nicky

19. bratspets

bratspets Member

You can check out your Illinois state regulations here.

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/Digest/digest.pdf

It says there are no creel or length limits for blue gill, but at age sixteen, you do need a current fishing license.

I love prime rib...hey, what do vegetarians feed to their snakes?

20. bleedthefreak

bleedthefreak Member

Well, I don't have any snakes but I would assume mice. Snakes NEED mice to live. Humans, on the other hand do not require steaks and hamburgers.
    And no, I'm not one of those crazy PETA fanatics. :)

21. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

Very true. Human, like bears, are omnivores and can survive on lots of stuff. It's just easier to get the protein requirements from meat. Otherwise that's alot of nuts and beans. I'm 100% behind the people doing for legit reasons. I know a few veggans, few vegetarians, and respect their views and choices. I've just known too many bad ones that do it for all the wrong reasons.
    Personally, the smell of cooking beef makes me drool. And pork. Life without pork fat is just not a life I want to know.