# of posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Questions' started by i_i_herpetile, Jul 9, 2007.

?

Do you need your number of posts shown?

1. *

yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. *

no

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. *

doesn't matter

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

I have only been on the site a short while but find the number of posts that some people have to be unbarably large, then I went to the photo section and noticed hundreds of "cool" or "nice" posts... In some forums i have found the number of posts to be a good thing as you can tell who has been here for a while and who might have experience with the forum, others I have noticed it becomes a "thing" to obtain a lot of posts by any means, even posts that aren't classified as spam but really take away from an informational forum. I have noticed pages of useless "nice" and "cool" posts that i have to scroll through before finding the next picture, or an academic question or respose at all.

my suggestion is top rid the site of the number of posts that is shown under an avatar to keep the site a little more tight

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lestat

lestat Moderator

Funny that this is your ONLY post....

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Some times theres not much else that can be said. Besides it's pretty easy to see who has been here longer since everyones join date is right under the names. It wouldn't matter to me either way if post count was there or not honestly.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

It should be my second post... but i will check that later, I have been reading more than I have been posting since I only joined today. I know it is easier to see who have been here longer I am just saying that for some people it seams they will post on every topic than can whether or not their post has anything valid on it to simply raise the number of their posts

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

Yes. It shows who contributed more than others. I would find it very odd for a forum not to show the number of posts, as that would be a first for me, and I have been to a lot of forums. That being said, it's wise to NOT put too much stake in a post count, and a individual responsibility to do so.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

I realize it shows who contributed more but can you really tell who has posted helpful care and feild tips and who is coming on and saying "very true" to get a post on a comment someone is making to spark conversation. I have seen in failed forums where people openly admited to wanting to get more posts as it looks more credible... but it adds pages of useless comments in between conversations or photos that I, or anyone, is trying to read. I apologize if this offends anyone. and I do realize I am new, but I am just trying to minimize the posts. This topic can be locked if it is a moot point.

12. Wookie

Wookie Well-Known Member

I get where you are coming from and it can be anoying, but I don't think it is an excesive issue on this site. If you know someone is doing this I'd suggest letting a Mod know via PM so that they can have a word with the user about it.

I think it is nice to know how active ppl are, but will go on the quality of their posts rather than quantity.

13. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

Re: RE: # of posts

Any time you notice something that isn't 'right' please PM a mod right away. While we all try to keep on top of things we can't read every post in every thread so stuff does get missed. This is your forum, it's a great forum, do help keep an eye on it :(
    As was also said, post counts are not what makes or breaks a member, it's what they know that matters. All the forums I am a member of have post counts, I honestly don't even look at them anymore.

14. MBK_KID

MBK_KID Member

RE: Re: RE: # of posts

I like it, it shows me how much time people have to kill! :D

Azza

15. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care about post count, if you view 3 or 4 posts by someone you get a gist of what they really know. What would be an idea is restricting the photo forums posts from counting in the post total. I honestly don't go in there much. That being said you won't find much convo in there as many posts are just ppl showing appreciation for a picture. I don't think we have much of a problem with 1 word posters as far as other areas of the forum goes but if you run across some users who do that in other areas please let one of us know and we will deal with it.

16. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Our mods do a great job here keeping posts informational and friendly. I don't know about the photo forum . . . I don't hang out there cause it takes too long to download pics on my dial-up computer . . .

But in the leo forum, where I hang out, one-word posters don't stay around long. Either they learn to give real information, or else they find some other forum to post in.

I like reading post count numbers, and watching mine and other people's go up ;)

17. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: # of posts

Yes sir agreed

I would never put the care of my reptiles in the hands of a post count. Either someone knows what they are doing or they don't.. someone gives bad advice you cant say well they have 3,000 posts they must know what they are talking about.

So like tux said it just comes down to i don't care ;) i mean shoot i have not been here very long and i have more posts than people that have been here for a long time lol sorry

18. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: # of posts

Ya, the mans got more posts then me and I'm on here and in chat all the dang time LOL.

19. ludothegreat

ludothegreat Member

Look at me, I do my best to not give out crap information and have been registered longer than both Tux and dumerillis and have WAY less posts...

20. Tux

Tux Well-Known Member

Yup I can vouch for ludo.

My post count is high because I post alot in the BD forum and am always active. I also did alot of posting when I started here in leos and we all know how active that forum section is.

21. lestat

lestat Moderator

I joined the forum because I was always in the chat room, but rarely posted for the first year. I've been active in the chat room pretty much every night for the entire time though.

I think making a fuss about being able to see the post count is rather pointless and a bit ironic. As far as I've seen, there has never been an issue here due to post counts. The occasional person might give more weight to a person's words if they can see that they're more active here, but it has never caused any trouble. It seems like a waste of time to even be bringing it up. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the forum a little more before worrying about whether or not it's going to be an issue. :D

22. i_i_herpetile

i_i_herpetile Embryo

its not really the fact that people are looking at the posts as experience... i do realize it has got to that and i do appreciate your insight... my original problem was the photo section most of all and all the one word posts... i guess you are right as to being part of the forum longer but is there anyway to die down the number of "nice" and "cool" posts that i have to sift through because there are 4 pages before someone else says your corn looks a little like mine (shows a picture) do you think they are the same morph? and i am right now just boycotting the photo section because of all those posts

23. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 ReptileBoards Addict

The photo forum is simply a place for photos. There usually isn't much more to say other than 'nice photo'. It's not really a place for questions or major discussions on morphs...or whatever. It merely is a place to showplace your photographic endeavors and herps (dogs, cats, kids etc.). There are a lot of one word posts there, I'll give you that, but it is appropriate there. It's not really tolerated in the other areas though.

24. dumerillis_1986

dumerillis_1986 Well-Known Member

What do you post a picture of your reptiles for??? Compliments lol... Very nice snake, Looks good, looks healthy. I want to post pictures of my snakes and have people admire how beautiful they are. It makes me feel good about the way i care for my reptiles. Being the poster of a picture i could care less how short someones post is.. i never thought there was any other reason for a photo forum other than to get compliments of your beauties lol