Ovulating (?) Ovulation (?)

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Just_Some_Guy, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bez89

bez89 New Member

what is ovulation?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

Similiar to a female human's period, thou without the blood. ;) Basically when a BD is 'testing out' it's egg-production system and lays infertile eggs. not all will do it and may be triggered by seeing a male BD.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bez89

bez89 New Member

about how old is a beardie when it can first ovulate. how can you tell weather the eggs are infertile or not.

p.s. thanks clarinet45 you've really been helping me alot.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clarinet45

np!

It can occur when the female is still young and sexually mature for the first season [1 year] or she may not lay infertile eggs for years if she never sees another BD. Some do not do it at all.
    Infertile eggs will be a yellowish color and if you try to incubate them, no red veins [the embryo] or air bubble will form. They will often mold if left in with good eggs. Even if white, an extremely dented egg is not usually a fertile one, or if it was, it won't live. That is assuming you know the female mated and are picking out infertile eggs from a clutch. If she's never been with a male they are obviously going to be infertile.
    note: i've never bred dragons, but i plan too and i've pretty much been a sponge for a year, soaking up info!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bez89

bez89 New Member

i want to try breeding bearded dragons too but maybe next year. i want to know everything, i mean EVERYTHING first.:lol:

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clarinet45

good to hear!

12. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

Its good to hear that people want to wait till they start breeding. Otherwise you get BDs which die young to over breeding + plus you get poor quality badys from a young Bd. (right)

13. Just_Some_Guy

I just got back from the herp shop to pick up my BDs from boarding, I should have baby Beardies by Christmess. Now i have some other question:
    I think that they have about 25 eggs. (Is that right?)
    How long is do they have to be inside them?
    And how long is incubation?
    And what temps?

Thanks every one especialey clarinet45

14. bez89

bez89 New Member

they can have as little as about 15 eggs i think and as much as about 60.
    i don't know how long the eggs are inside for.sorry.
    i heard that incubation is about 64 to 68 days.
    the temps i think should be between 84 and 86 degrees.

15. clarinet45

younger beardies [but still in the 18-24 month bracket] may have weaker babies, but will more likely just lay smaller clutches and less clutches. Number of eggs can vary from 15-40! # of clutches can vary form 3-7.
    From the time you see mating, it will be from 4-6 weeks before she lays, thou i would have the lay box available to her all the time. They like to dig practice holes to confuse predators. Also have the incubator up and ready on week 2 or 3, that way you have the temps very steady. i suggest a back room closet, away from drafts and light.
    Incubator can range from 65-75 days, the lower the temp the longer it takes.
    Good temp is 82-83*F. I'm been talking to a lot of breeders and although some will incubate a little higher [84-85*] it's my opinion that they make for more males and possibly weaker and more aggressive babies.
    Remember, don't freak if the babies won't eat the first day out of the incubator, they may live off their yoke for a couple of days. Many do not even take them out of the incubator til they are scatching to get out [strong enough]

16. Just_Some_Guy

Thanks. What about humidity?

17. clarinet45

I don't know any specific humdity number, so i won't guess. Just a moist substrate so the eggs plump but don't rot.

18. Just_Some_Guy

Okie dokie.

Thanks for every ones help

19. mthorpe

mthorpe Well-Known Member

Okay, from your first post it sounds like you house them together, which is not good. id advise to separate them asap.

also, dont jump into breeding. it is alot of work, and very expensive. also if you are at school/work, it will be very hard to do, the babies need feeding every 4 hours minimum, and if they are not fed this often they will start to nip each other. also, you will need at least 5 complete setups, and no more than 5 babies per viv. what im trying to say is have you thought about everything involoved? also... if your thinking of making money out of it, forget it, it is very expensive... alot of crix.

as your young, and most probably in school, it is going to be very hard for you to have the time/money to breed, and i personally would advise againt it, untill you are sure that you can have the time to do it. they will need feeding every 4 hours, that is something that cannot be cut down on.

im not attacking you in any way, just saying have a good think about it, make sure that you are ready. if you have your beardies housed together, they should definatley be separated. how old are your male/female? and also how long/weight?

this is a checklist type thing ive wrote out before for someone on another board:

1) you have done full research on the bloodlines of the dragons that your going to breed
    2) you have done extensive research on exactly how to breed beardies, id reccomend pming one of the breeders on this one...
    3) your female is in no way related to the male
    4) you have enough money to afford all the set ups etc for possibly up to 100 babies
    5) you are prepared to not leave the house for over 4/5 hours at a time untill they are about 3 months old
    6) are able to afford up to 1000 crix a week for the babies.
    7 ) the female is at least 2 years old
    8 ) you are willing to spend lots of money and not see it come back at the end

unless you can do all these, and are willing to put in the time, money and effort, and can make sure that you have full ginetic backgrounds for the male and female you should not breed them.

20. Just_Some_Guy

Ok thanks for trying to stop me from breeding but. The person from my local herp shop says that he will buy the beardies at a week old (to be sold at 8) which means the price for me is low but then I don't have to buy food for more than a week. Which at a ruff calculation would be 15 pounds per week for 20 beardies. I know who the parents are and there parents and they are not related. I already have 2 spare tanks just missing a UV which I will be getting when I move my current BD tanks to MVB. 100 Badies no. But if that happens then I will have to think of something I do have a Few spare cricket keepers (big) but no UV light for them. My male weighs 234 Grams and my female (a month younger than the male) is 174. My male is 19 months my female is 18. I don't feel attacked but in no way have you changed my mined in breeding.

Thanks

21. mthorpe

jeeze they are tiny... im sorry, but they are far too small to be bred, 174g for a female... my female is 560g at the moment, and 21 inches. a female under 450/500g shouldnt be bred... period. up to 100 babies yes, they can lay up to 3/4 clutches from one breeding, with 25/30 eggs from each clutch, thats alot of eggs...

you need to have ginetic tracing for both animals, that is vital. if they are in any way related they should not be bred. if you cannot trace their lines, and ensure that they are not related you shoudlnt breed.

how long are your guys? they should not be bred at their sizes, they are too small.

22. Just_Some_Guy

When i said 100 i mean't no way of dealing with that. That weight was done about a month ago shes put on a bit. My female is about 19 inches (she has lost her foot so thats why her weight is low). My male is 20

23. mthorpe

she needs to be 450-500grams before she is bred, otherwise you are putting her health in serious danger. period. they are small, 18/19 inches and 230g is tiny. how much are you feeding them? and how often are you feeding them? what are you feeding them with?

24. Just_Some_Guy

This is him before a weighed him

[​IMG]

and here

[​IMG]

And this is her

[​IMG]

and here

[​IMG]

I've changed the sub from Corn Cob chippings to paper towel

25. Just_Some_Guy

They get 7 Crix each and 1 locust sometimes 2 Large Hoppers (not the mice the locusts). They get about a handful or veggies a day that includes Cress, Lettuce, and dandey lions