Oxyurid and Giardia Parasites

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Sitonatak, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Sitonatak

Sitonatak New Member

My Argentinian B&W Tegu was just diagnosed with Oxyurid and Giardia. Does anyone know anything about these two parasites. I am waiting for the vet to call with a presctiption. Thanks to any who can offer some info.
    It would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bactmike

bactmike Embryo

hi, go to the "General lizards" forum and scroll down to the topic "water dragon problem". I posted a little information about giardia there. However, I know nothing of Oxyurid. If you would like, I may know a little bit more about giardia than posted. I'll mention though that you have to clean alot to get rid of giardia, good luck

cheers, mike

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. SatanicIntention

SatanicIntention New Member

Oxyurids are pinworms. Easy to treat, but giardia isn't. For giardia sp. the animal will need to be on the meds for 3 weeks to make sure all protozoan are out of it's body. Protozoas are nasty...

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. hrotroff

hrotroff New Member

Also, be careful to wash your own hands very good with hot water and soap when handling your reptile and the enclosure contents. Do not get the enclosure's water in your mouth. Humans can also get very very sick from gerardi (sp?) including hospitalization and tremendous weight loss--I had a friend who got it from drinking contaminated water from a mountain stream and he never has really gotten over it years later, still looks pale and thin.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lacerta

lacerta Member

As mentioned, Oxyurids are pinworms, normally non-pathogenic but easy to treat. Giardia is a flagellate protozoan. There are 40 different described species. G. agilis is usually implicated in amphibian/reptile infections. G. duodenalis is transmissable to humans where it can be pretty debilitating to some, but sensitivity varies and many folks show little or no symptoms at all. Curiously, many animals are reservoirs for Giardia and they show no outward pathology. In reptiles they can cause some enteritis. Like so many other parasites, both pins and Giardia are passed through fecal contamination. In the case of pins, eggs are passed in stools and are easily reingested by contaminated food or simply tasting surfaces with the tongue. In Giardia, cysts are passed in the stool and are usually waterborne. Reptiles that commonly crap in their water bowls are quite susceptible to heavy infections due to constant reinfection. Monitors, for this reason are probably the most commonly infected with Giardia. The cysts are quite durable and can stay viable for months. In most human cases of Giardia, beavers are often implicated as reservoirs and drinking water from "pristine" looking mountain lakes and streams is usually the cause of cases in North America. Metronidazole, tradename Flagyl, is standard treatment, not only for people but for reptiles as well. Maintaining clean substrates and clean water go a long way in preventing these parasites from becoming a problem.
    George
    [​IMG]

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Sitonatak

Sitonatak New Member

Thanks very much for all the information. You were all a great help. We are treating him with Flagyl and Panacur. I was not told to get a fecal exam done when he is done with the meds, but I will prob have it done just in case.

Hopefully we can get rid of them.

Thanks again
    Amy