Parthenogenesis? Zuri just laid 2 eggs!

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by ToadAli, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ToadAli

ToadAli Embryo

Hey,
    So my crestie - Zuri - apparently laid 2 eggs while I was away and I just discovered them this morning. This means they could possibly be a week old. I have a book on cresties that says eggs should be removed and put into an incubator within 24 hrs. Also, I only moved 1 egg but it looked and smelled like it may be going a bit moldy. My questions are these:

1. What do I do with the eggs? Should I try to incubate them or is it too late at this point?
    2. Are crested geckos parthenogenic? I have a biology degree so I know about this, but from what I understand parthenogenic females need to have simulated sex with another female in order to produce eggs. Zuri lives in a large tank by herself. Would these eggs be unfertilized like chicken eggs, or would this be partenogenesis?

SO excited, but also a little disappointed I did not know they were there sooner!
    - Alison

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Crested geckos are not parthenogenic; females will simply lay infertile eggs from time to time, even without the presence of a mate. You can just toss the eggs when this happens as obviously there is no point in keeping them. Make sure your crestie is getting an ample amount of calcium to help with egg production and prevent egg binding in the future. Hope this answers all of your questions. Let us know if there's anything else you want to know. =D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. brianah

brianah Embryo

i saw these reports were done one year ago and just wanted to ask if they ever hatched or not???????????