Pics of your beardies tanks/set ups please!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by wilykit, Sep 4, 2006.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

Nice conversion! We also did this with an old Sears entertainment center that we found someone throwing out. All we had to do was remove the shelfs take the divider that the shelfs attached to and lay that down on support 2 x 4 ich blocks (this made a pit where the shelfs use to be) and then added sliding doors on the front. It sitll needed to be painted and finished, but here is what we started with (in the corner of the photo) and what we ended up with.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DragonTamer

DragonTamer Member

very nice and creative

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nick_man

Nick_man Embryo

Yes, the entire top; half has a screen, the other half is completely open. I removed the top piece of glass when I was modifying the enclosure, I ended up cracking a big piece. =)

Im thinking of adding another screen to cover the other half, but since there are no animals that could get to him and he cant get out, I might not.

Yes, it was filled with playsand untill last night. Now it is filled with a blend of playsand, peat, and topsoil that was recommended. Bob likes digging a lot so I decided I would try it with a few key things in mind.

• She is fed in a seperate enclosure with reptile carpet.
      She does not ingest the sand.
      Her wastes are checked daily to ensure that they contain no sand.
      Her wastes are checked for size and consistency.
      She remains eating steadily.
      She is checked for any other signs of impaction.

• The reason for the change in blend was because the play sand would only hold burrows if kept too wet to be suitable, and because the new blend would support the pothos plant, bermuda grass, and food plants I am putting in.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CheriS

OH nick, not pothos!! I know that some sites list it as safe, one big reptile site did a few years ago and then a lot of other Parrot sites copied it. But it is very toxic to bearded dragons if they eat it, making adults very ill and will kill babies outright. The high oxalate acids causing irritation and burns to the throat and esophagus and it swells closed, they can not breathe

Symptoms can build up over time, especially gastric and kidney damage, and one of the noted symptoms is animals stop eating. Just wanted you to know this

If you go to any search engine and put in Epipremnum aureum or Epipremnum pothos aureus and the word toxic, multiple references come up that pothos is toxic to animals, there are none that state specifically for bearded dragons but they do for many animals

ASPCA site for animals-says
    Satin Pothos
    Common Name: Satin Pothos
    Scientific Name: Scindapsus spp
    Family: Araceae
    Toxic Principle: calcium oxalate crystals
    Clinical signs: oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.
    http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagen...xic_satinpothos

Outdoor-indoor gardens: a model for teaching
    poisonous plants to veterinary students" plus the Department of Clinical
    Sciences and Biology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Teaching
    Hospital, Colorado State University list it as an unsafe plant

Other aniimla site:
    http://www.avianavenue.com/infocenter/toxic.html <--toxic to dog

http://www.canadogs.com/Toxic_Plants.htm <-- Toxic to birds * golden marble queen, satin they are all toxic if ingested

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~djw/plantox.html US FDA listing, enter pothos in
    the search

This is one of those cases where people who really do not know the information, copy others and then it is all over the web and wroind. I know of at least a sozen beardie who got very ill from eating these, some had permanent kidney damage and at least a half dozen died. I think they probably do kill many more lizards, but the owners do not associate it with the plants.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Nick_man

Nick_man Embryo

Ok, thanks.

We have a great vine like plant growing up some palm trees in our yard that I saw at home depot that were called "Jasmine ______" do you know what that might have been and if it is safe for him?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CheriS

Alot of the vine plants are in the pothos or ivy family and the majority of them have extremely high oxalates in them and due tot hat are not safe if ingested. People have used them, like in with a chameleon, that does not eat the plants and not had problems,. But a bearded dragons LOVES eating anything in their tank, including fake ones, so I would not trust anything unless you know for absolute sure that it is safe, like dandelion is. Even some plants that the flower is safe, the leaves are not or that the veggies is good, the greens in them are not. Oxalates can be a really serious problem that I think many people do not realize and I also think responsible for many unexplained deaths that do not have a necropsy. If a necropsy is done, the irritations in the throat, fluid in the lungs and collapsed airsacs are seen so they know the animals airflow was cut off. Only if they test the stomach contents ( not a normal part of the necropsy) do they find the cause

12. SpiderQueen

SpiderQueen Member

what about that stuff they sell as "cat grass"?
    Its not catnip but an assortment of pesticide-free grasses.
    Lisa

13. FLiNT

FLiNT New Member

CheriS what are the dementions or those cagaes?

14. Nick_man

Nick_man Embryo

How about Jasmine plants? Downy Jasmine and Jasmine Illicifollium specifically.

How about Phillodendron?

Australian Tree Fern?

Thanks for the help.