pinkies

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by roadrunner, Jul 9, 2012.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner New Member

Hi can i feed my nearly 3 year old beardie pinkies or baby fluffs.I read and was told i can then i read not to because of the bones and they are too fatty. If i can whats best way to defrost them .He can handle large locusts no problem so just wanted to try something different for him as a once off.
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

I would strongly suggest staying away from vertebrate prey of any kind when it comes to feeding beardies. I know some people do it, but it is not the best choice of food for them. They are very high in fat and protein, which an adult beardie actually needs very little of. In fact, one of the most common problems with beardies comes from having too much protein in the diet. And, as you also mentioned, the bones can pose a potential threat of impaction or internal injury. Beardies are already rather prone to impaction as it is (just because of the way their anatomy is designed), so I wouldn't want to risk it.

If you're looking to add some variety, there are plenty of other feeders you can choose from. There are butterworms, superworms, phoenix worms, wax worms, horn worms (captive bred ONLY), silkworms, and a multitude of feeder roach species. Any of those would be a much better choice if you are looking for a treat and some variety for him. You can also treat him to various fruits and vegetables. A lot of beardies are enthusiastic about berries--blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, you name it. My beardie is kind of obsessed with papaya. It seems like most of them prefer brighter orange-reds, but there are exceptions. Just try a wide variety of things and see what your guy likes the best. =)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

It is funny what beardies think are treats! I feed Rex blueberries occasionally, and he eats them like a maniac! I have actually seen him flip over because he tried to turn around to fast when he spotted one behind him! xD I agree with Cammy though, just stay away from mice altogether. It isn't worth the risk in my opinion.