Poor little leo

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by punkrck1013, Jan 30, 2007.

1. punkrck1013

punkrck1013 Member

I rescued 2 tiny leopard geckos from Petco yesterday, I couldn't leave without getting the 2 little guys out of there. One of them was smaller than the other, but not by much, but the larger one I got to eat 6 good sized mealworms when I got it home, but the smaller one wouldn't eat. Unfortunately the poor smaller one passed away today, before I could even name it :cry: Here is a picture of the poor little guy, I'll miss him, but he was adorable for the few hours I could spend with him. And at least he had a nice warm home for his last day *sigh* so depressing.

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry to hear! At least we all know he had the best last hours of his life! Thank you!

Corey

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I'm sorry to hear that you lost the little one. RIP little guy/girl.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry to hear that. It makes you angry to think how in the world can pet stores do this.

At least the little fellow has the best hours of his life while in your care.

RIP

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. beardie_donkin

beardie_donkin New Member

r.i.p lil guy

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

rest in Peace little dude

12. mike15

mike15 New Member

sorry to here about your loss, at least you will know you gave it good care in the few hours that you kept him!

13. Wii

Wii Embryo

:cry:

14. Faeze

Faeze New Member

I'm very sorry for your loss! But you should feel proud of yourself! You rescued this little guy and gave him a home, even if only for a few hours!

15. beefcake

beefcake Member

hey it happens but its good to know theres other good people out there who care man

16. Whis

Whis New Member

i would throw a fit at petco. i am very sorry for your lost. everytime i go to petsmart or petco, their reptiles are always unhealthy, and i start yelling at the manager to have them cared for better. they have kicked me out several times for that. i just hate it when people see them as just reptiles, especially at a pet store. plus, they charge way too high for very unhealthy reptiles. it is a big ripoff.

17. craziiikris10

craziiikris10 Member

im sorry!! great job rescuing him from petco, if only for a day!

Whis, you said it!!! my petsmart sells super sick (on verge of death) leos for full price! i asked and they wouldnt give me a cent off! but they gave me 5 bux of a critter keeper bc it was missing a part it didnt even need!!!!!! pet stores are retarded!

18. SilverSeven

SilverSeven New Member

No, some petstores are retarded.

We take great care of our reptiles at the small privately owned petstore I work at. Half of our time is dedicated to cleaning and socializing the animals. We obviously have some limitations (we cant provide everyone with the largest cage, though its not like we are keeping beardies in a 10 gallon by any means), but we do a damn good job. Animal death is a VERY rare thing, and is usually the case of the suppliers sending us sick animals.

We keep about 40 herps at a time, around 20 finches, many canaries, rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, and the odd chinchilla, kitten, or ferret. We also have a few store pets (a Jenday conure, a chinchilla, a rat snake, four cats). Despite having around 100 animals in the store at any given time, we probably average less than one death a month. That may sound horrid, but as I said, you have to remember some of our animals are travelling long distances to get to us. Usually it is herps that can come in sick. We all know that young herps are very fragile. Sometimes they send them too young.

I, like all of you, get angr when I walk into a petstore and see them not taking proper care of animals. The new herp racks at Petsmart are particularly bad. They keep everything from beardies to veileds in what appears to be 5.5g's. But, it also pisses me off when people lump all pet stores together.

There are pet stores out there that actually care about your animals, and about the animals that are in the store. Recently we had our store beardie pass on (a vesicle burst, according to the vet, there was nothing anyone could have done....yes...we took her to a vet...shocking!) and it angered and saddened us all because animal care is our priority.

So please remember, not every pet store is just there to sell you crap. We dont carry a number of products that sell well but are bad for your animal (for example heat rocks....or crap dog food....hell most of our dog food is better than what I eat....and costs a lot more as well).

Sorry, rant over.

I am sorry for your loss. You did the right thing though.

19. gaelic

gaelic Embryo

so sorry..
    hows the bigger one?

20. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

im sorry for your loss but i had two healthy beardies from pet stores and they both died. one from their mistake and one because of a stupid parasite. :)