Possible Gecko (cont.)

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ikermalli, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

you will have to post a pic when you get it

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LittleLouie

LittleLouie Well-Known Member

Yes, you need both a thermometer with a probe and a thermostat. My thermostat has a dial on it which reads the aproximate temperature that the thermostat turns on and off at; however the dial is not 100% accurate, so you'll need to have the thermometer to help you adjust the dial a notch or two up or down until the substrate temp is perfect. Then, the thermometer is still good to have on hand so that you can keep an eye on things and know that all is well. For example, my thermostat probe had a bad habit of tipping up into the air so that it was not reading my substrate temps and turning the heat off. Since I was home, I caught the high temp reading on my thermometer, and was able to adjust the thermostat probe so that everything was just right, and no harm was done. If the thermometer had not been there though, I probably would not have noticed that anything was wrong for quite some time, and you can imagine how my little leo would have suffered. Even now, it will occasionally be setting on a wire or something instead of against the substrate. I check my temps often though, so things like that don't go unnoticed :(

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

alright. I might be able to get my set-up on friday or sunday but I will definitely be showing pictures of my Mack Snow he is sending me. He was going to sell me Ozzy but he sold him to a family friend as he still has to wait a bit beofre he gets his license but this is what he said "I'll replace Ozzy with a nice Mack Snow from our breeding offspring or I'll get one directly from John Mack himself!"

I don't know who John Mack is but he said he is going to give me a mack snow!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ataber

ataber New Member

lol notice the name....John MACK....MACK snow

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ikermalli

lol yeah, he said he knows John Mack and some bell guy

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ataber

ataber New Member

thatd be mark bell...breeder of the bell albino and enigma

12. ikermalli

Yeah, that's the guy! He said he knows them well! I might get my set-up tomorrow if I do not have a project to do for school and I will post some pics and temps

13. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Great, i'll be looking forward to those pics, and kudos to you for taking out all the reasearch you've been doing and all the questions you've been asking :(

14. ikermalli

:( I like taking care of animals so I want to make sure everything goes as planned. As of now my mom has said that we will buy the tank on sunday after we clean the house.

15. ikermalli

My dad said I cannot get a gecko :)

16. 00luke00

Pfft, well that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

17. Shanna66

why did she say that?

18. ikermalli

He said he doesnt like animals, and I said he wont even see him and he was like "I DONT LIKE ANIMALS! When you get your own house then you can keep donkeys or whatever you want."

19. 00luke00

Keep trying. One thing which supports your case is that it can increase your responsibility. Physically show him the research you've been doing, show him this site, and show him your thread :)

20. Shanna66

i can never understand how some people dont like animals. but yeah, just do what luke said and keep showing him your research.

21. curiousKathy

curiousKathy Member

My husband doesn't like animals either; what helped with him is that leos are QUIET! No barking, no walking, and if you keep the tank really clean...not much smell. Crickets are usually the smelly part and if you clean up after them they are not too bad. Would you be keeping it in your room? Then he wouldn't even see it. On the other hand, sometimes getting a pet when someone doesn't like them can make your life miserable. I have had to give up having many birds because they were too noisy for my husband and he covered their cages all the time. Not a pleasant life for a bird. Plus if you want to go on vacation or have to worry about being home at a certain to let out your pet or feed it, that can set off someone who doesn't like animals. There is some flexibility with leos because you don't have to let them out and you can feed them later in the evening when you get home. Maybe you could find a petsitter for the future and show your dad how much research and how well prepared you are...

Good luck....I feel your pain!

curiousKathy

22. ikermalli

I showed him this thread and some research and he still said "no, you just never give up do you?!? No means NO"

23. Shanna66

im sorry about that.

24. ikermalli

yeah me too :D

25. Shanna66

well, that just means you can read up even more on them untill the day you do get one ^.^