Possible Gecko

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by ikermalli, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

Hello,

I know I haven't visited for a while since I lost all hope of getting a gecko. I am back again and I am making some progress with my parents about getting the gecko. But I need a list of supplies I need and approximate costs. I have a tank (20 Gallon) and that is just about all I have for the leopard gecko. The list of supplies I have made up so far is:

Tank
    Heating Lamp
    Mesh Cover
    Three hides (cool,hot,humid/shedbox)
    Background
    Substrate (I am thinking of towel)

That is about all I remember

The reason I am asking is because I am gathering info on leopard geckos and also finding articles and making a powerpoint presentation (slideshow) because I remember the last thing I made a powerpoint presentation for I got it :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

For a heat lamp you can use a shop light at walmart. Instead of paying like $12-$15 for a dome light from a pet store you can get one of the shop lights for a little over $6. I assume you're trying to keep it cheap so you could go with some plastic tupperware containers or something like that for hides. At Petsmart a screen top for a 20L is 15.99. You will probably also need a UTH that will probably run very close to $20. Don't forget the thermometer either, a Digital one with a probe would be best although they are a bit more expensive. That could run you about $10-$15. Also, if you are trying to keep it real cheap, just forget the background for now, that would just make it more expensive and isn't vital to the geckos needs, just the look of the tank. That is what i could think of off the top of my head, hope it helps :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Personally I think UTHs are more appropriate since they're low to the ground and need the belly heat. However, you don't usually have to replace them like you would a bulb.
    If you're using a kitchen towel, I would ditch and go for just paper towels. Eventually you may want to switch to ceramic or slate tile, which is easy to clean, you buy it once, and easy to sterilize. Either soak in vingear, or bake at 250F for about half an hour (make sure you raise and lower the temps with the tile in the oven), or both!
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-60514.html Here's a caresheet for ya. Looks like you're headed in the right direction!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ikermalli

Alright, I will use the paper towel for my substrate. I will definately get the lamp for 6 dollars :D I guess I will be getting an undertank heater and I will definitely ditch the background. The reason I was thinking I could use a towel was because all I have to do with the towel is switch it, throw out the poo and wash it... that way I do not waste paper towels. Also I just noticed that you two did not mention the vitamin supplements I need but I already calculated that into my total. The heat pas that I am looking at is this one

After I calculate my total it comes to 91.57 for:

Food (2.99)
    Tank (already owned)
    Light Bulb + power souce (6.99)
    Three Hiding Spots (4.99 each)
    Tank Cover (15.99)
    Substrate (can use towel, 2.99)
    Water dish + Feeding Bowl (1.99)
    One Plant (1.99)
    Vitamin Supplements (3.69 + 5.99)
    Digital Thermometer with probe (17.99)
    Heat Pad (15.99)

I am not sure about food cost though (mealworms)[/url]

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Ah. sorry. Vitamins and sups depend on where you get them. The best brand you're going to find is Repcal. You need a pure calcium (which you also should keep a shallow dish in the habitat), a multitvitamin, and a calcium with vit d3. The pure calcium should be used 5 times a week, and the last two once a week or less depending on the age of the gecko.
    You're also gonna wanna mix up your feeders. Give some mealworms, upgrade to supers if its an older gecko, crickets, silkworms, butterworms, etc. Make sure you read over those caresheets.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ikermalli

My tank is 24 inches long 16 inches high and 12.5 inches front to back

Does this make any difference for housing one leopard gecko? I am hopefully going to house one and asking for another will be "pushing it" like my parents say (pushing what?)

12. ikermalli

Should I get a subAdult or an Adult (this is my first pet other than a fish so I want to start out simple) also will my leo get burned if I only use paper towel?

13. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

You really don't wanna house two leopard geckos together. They're much happier alone. And that tank is fine for one! The more space the better! But I wouldn't put another with him/her.

14. ikermalli

How many layers of paper towel should I put down? Should I get a subAdult or Adult? How often should I clean the tank?

15. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Uh.. I usually lay down about two rows of paper towels. And you want a thermostat to control the under tank heater.
    Subadult you get to watch the bands change to spots, but don't handle him/her too often. Adult is already gonna have its spots and you don't have to wait as long. Either or, you'll still wanna wait a week before handling. Personally, with younger geckos, I suggest waiting longer as they can stress easily.
    About once a month, break down everything and clean it. Every day you should spot clean.

16. ikermalli

I think I will get a sub adult, do they need extra care? A thermostat with a probe should be okay right? How often can I handle a sub adult? My tank right now has some algae growth, if I use some fish friendly wipes when I am changing it to a vivarium should that be okay?

17. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

Um.. I don't know, honestly. I would rinse it out with a vingear/water solution just to be on the safe side, which should also kill algae.
    You need a thermostat and a digital thermometer with a probe.
    A subadult just needs to have a strict following of 5 x a week of pure calcium, 1 x with calcium with vitamin D3, and 1 x with a multivit, and as it gets older, mostly calcium, and twice a month per vit D3 and multi.
    After a week, introduce your hand, most leos will climb into your hand out of curiosity. Avoid grabbing from above as its very much like a giant bird coming down at it. I would only handle it 15 minutes a day if you must. I didn't handle my juvies for about six months. The older they get, the more laid back they tend to be.

18. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

You could use some vinegar and water mixture to clean the tank. I've cleaned out old fish tanks before that were dirty with algae growth to use for reptiles and to get the old dried grime off you will need something hard and flat like an old credit card or a metal algae blade. I think i might have used a utility knife blade (just the blade, and was very careful, they are sharp). I just put it in the tub and cleaned it out good with very hot water and a detachable shower head.

I think it's always fun to get a juv gecko as then you can watch them grow and mature.

Also you have food costs down as 2.99, does that mean the costs of meal worms? cuz below you said that you aren't sure about the price of meal worms :D A 50ct cup of mealworms will usually cost around 2.99 though.

19. ikermalli

I think I might start out with an adult as I sometimes forget things between school and tutors and the multiple sports teams I am on. Will I need a normal light or one of those red lights for my tank? I would buy a sub adult as they are 18.00 cheaper but I would rather get an adult so if I make a mistake and forget something one day it won't harm as much right? Would the leos from petsmart be healthy? They have been there for over a month and the petsmart I am near has a pretty good staff. When I search thermostat on the petsmart site it shows nothing. when you say thermostat what do you mean?

20. ikermalli

yeah I called petsmart a while ago and I forgot if they said 2.99 or 5.99 lol. The only reason as to why I do not want to get a sub adult is because if I forget one of the supplements it will cause greater damage to them won't it?

21. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

If it is staying warm enough in your tank at night you shouldn't need a red bulb. That would be used primarily to provide heat at night and also make the gecko slightly viewable. It would be best to put a white bulb on a timer, about 10-12 hours on and then off. That will provide a photoperiod for your gecko and also make it seem more natural for him. A timer usually costs about $5 at walmart, you wouldn't need anything fancy

22. Stormphyre

Stormphyre Member

If you have a UTH, lights aren't really necessary. As long as your room is well lit too during the day.
    Petsmarts vary. the one I work at has healthy geckos (I'd be ashamed if they weren't ;D) Same with Petco. Just depends on the people there.
    Leos are pretty hardy and forgiving, but don't make the mistake too many times. And you can get a rheostat from Petsmart, which works about the same. Thermostats I think you have to order online normally. Type in reptile thermostat on google.
    here's one: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=75

23. Tulkas

Tulkas New Member

If you forget to supplement once in a while it's not going to hurt the gecko. Of course it would be best to not forget but if it's getting fed regularly i don't think it would be the end of the world if you forgot to supplement one day :D

24. ikermalli

lol, yeah, true. What is a rheostat for? Do I need a rheostat along with a thermostat? The tails of the leopard geckos in my petsmart aren't that fat are they still healthy? When I get one I will take a picture of it and ask for anything you see wrong. What are some things I should look for in a healthy gecko?

25. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

big tail, bright eyes, and eats. dont expect to see one active cause they are usually asleep during the day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.