potty training

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

Does anyone know of a way to get a big lizard to go in one spot??

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

most monitors go in their water bowl, but you can take a poop and put it in the corner of the tank and after a while it will learn that the spot to poop in is the corner where you placed it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

nope

they go where they go, u sually away from their hide mine try to shoot it out the doors of the cage, others stick to a corner of it, some go wherever the urge hits them, its hit and miss, that is just a big disadvantage to freeroaming monitor lizards.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ryzard

ryzard New Member

lol "shoot it out the doors".

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ryzard

ryzard New Member

since this is deemed the poop topic here,
    the tegu won't poop. He's drinking lots, vitamins, temp is perfect, and no parasites ect.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. mcfreshdeli

mcfreshdeli New Member

klik you have a tegu, right.

how do you keep them from pooping around the house when out of the cage. I have always heard to put them in some wated until they go and they will be good for a while. I plan on getting one this summer and just want to be prepared

12. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i do not have a teg, 4 of my friends have tegus. 2 of them put a dish with water in the room with the tegu, the others just clean as they see it. i think it is better to just let them roam around one room then to let them roam around an entire house where they can get into more trouble. what you mentioned will work as well. i did that with my monitor

13. ryzard

ryzard New Member

I put mine in warm water, he still won't go. It usually works, I don't know what's wrong with him

14. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

usually if they swim while they are in the water they will go. or gently massage them while they are in the warm water. that almost always does the trick

15. Pink_Geckooo

Pink_Geckooo Embryo

i've noticed my tegu poo's near his water and a loose piece of cork bark in his tank if its a big poo we'll have to scoop it out if its a decent size poo he'll dig up his crap to mix with his mulsh... tegu's are scavangers they poo anywhere and eat anything thats their motto... and make note never to feed them right before ur going to take him for a walk i made the mistake once and i had to deal with a baseball sized poo that smelt like rotten everything mixed together was not a pretty site mind you chacho (my tegu) is 3 feet and a bit.

also for the person who cant pooie try giving ur tegu some mix u can find it on this website it has dog food, snails and greens mixed with other things... that will probably give him something to poo over and also try some chunky tuna on water like a can and a can of snails ... the poo will smell cause it always does.. but it will make him poo.. also greens like kale and collard help

16. ryzard

ryzard New Member

lol thanks