Probably a stupid cricket question

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by stina3246, Sep 14, 2004.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Member

:) OK...why do crickets chirp. (I know how, but why) I have a container with about 50 crickets and I only hear 1 voice. This cricket chirps night and day (I don't mind, I kinda like it) He'll stop when I dump crickets in to my beardie tank or he'll pause when I feed them but for the most part he always chirps. There is one cricket in there that is much larger then all the rest, is this the singer? I wouldn't mind keeping this one if I can help it and if I can find it.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. joe5555

joe5555 Member

to breed . the males are calling for the females.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Smileen

Smileen Member

Generally the large one is the culprit. I had that happen to me once, and had to keep the crickets in their cricket carrier IN MY BATHROOM with the lights on so it would give me some peace and quiet. Eventually I got so frustrated at it that I set it free outside. It was too big for my leo anyways.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stina3246

stina3246 Member

I kinda figured it was something like that. . I like the noise though. Sometimes he just kind of sounds like he's "purring" it's still a chirp, but very soft, then he just goes all out.
    Yeah...he's too big for either of mine too so I may just set him free.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jamesjenkins

jamesjenkins Member

Ive had a few HUGE crickets before that were getting anoying so i let them go outside, the next night guess what i heard? the anoying things were outside still chirping!!!! And i could still hear them inside!