problem measuring temp... help please

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by ryka, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ryka

ryka Member

Ok i got a UTH for my corn. Now do i put the probe from digital thermometer on top of the aspen or a little under? If i have it on top then i have to have the UTH on high (i have a reostat) and it reads 82F. If i sprinkle a little apen on top of the probe it reads 84 on low... I think this is because the air gets to the probe when its just sitting out on top of the aspen. I didnt burry it or put it on the glass bottom i just set the probe on top the aspen and then pick up a lil extra and put it on top the probe.

Where do you put your probes? On top with nothing covering or on top and then sprinkle a lil aspen on top of it?

thanks for input!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

with my corns and other colubrids i put the probe closer to the bottom cause corns burrow and if the uth is to hot it could burn them through the glass of your tank. with my boids i measure closer to the top cause all of them except one don't burrow.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ryka

ryka Member

Mine doesnt seem to burrow that much... he sits on top the aspen most the time in his hide... the glass isnt hot either I have check to make sure. I will half burry it though. thanks!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. DreamingOfDragons

DreamingOfDragons Member

your welcome.

i hope you have many years with your new little snake.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Herp__Kid

Herp__Kid Member

i put the probe in the warm hide since thats where the snake will spend most of its time, its often a few degrees higher in there.

p.s. older snakes tend to burrow more and can tolerate more temp fluctuations

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. ryka

ryka Member

Thanks i have moved the probe inside his warm hide.

12. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

you would only want/need to put a probe in the hide until you get a good idea what the actual temp is.. then you can move it. if your room temps stay relatively the same the temp shouldnt change much.

it would be a good idea to get a temp under the substrate on the warm side.. they can and will burrow. if the temps are too hot near the bottom.. then lower the temp on the rheostat.. if you find that the snake is constantly on the warm side, then you can adjust accordingly.